salt in freshwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard you should add salt to freshwater tank too, any ideas why? And if its true, how much for a 40 gal tank?

I have never found a need or reason to add salt. It does help treat some diseases, but on a normal basis there is no reason to use it, in my opinion.

I agree with rich. Its always good to have some on hand, but save it for when you need it such as treating ich, wounds and some parasites. I know my petco and petsmart use it and have signs on the tanks that say "we recommend salt", which can really be confusing if you don't know any better.

I've used the salt and I don't really see much difference between using it and not using it when the tank is healthy. It's great for treating diseases, so I keep some around. Aquarium salt cleared up a fungus outbreak in one of my tanks with no other meds.

Okay, thanks for the info everyone! I will buy some to have on hand so I'm not scrambling if something happens later...but won't worry about not having it in the tank. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom