Salt Mix and supplementation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyami

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let's see it all in one thread. I am looking for the salt that I am going to stick with and I know everyone seems to dread the what salt is best question, so what I am looking for is this:

What Salt Mix do you use?
What supplementation do you use with it and why?
What are your water test results?
and last but not least, where do you buy your salt from, in what quantity, and how much are you paying for it?

I think this will prove to be an interesting thread to see what is being used and what results are occuring from each one.

This was triggered because I fired my old LFS and went to a new one. They have a limited supply of salt mix (IO), which works great for them. It is a matter of what supplementation you do with it. But I also saw a bucket of Oceanic 200 gal. supply for about $98 yesterday and price wise I thought that was pretty good. If everyone share's what they are using with supplements than we can all compare the uses and cost associated with each one.

There are a few threads like this already posted here. You can ask 100 ppl what salt they use and why and you can get 75 diff answers.

Some good reading here. The Composition Of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes

But I also saw a bucket of Oceanic 200 gal. supply for about $98 yesterday and price wise I thought that was pretty good.
WOW....I can buy 2 buckets of Red Sea Coral Pro for that price.

I use Instant Ocean.... It's been good so far but I hear it can create and Algae issue over time.... I hear Seachem is very good option I believe the make 2 different kind Marine Salt and Reef Salt... I believe Reef Salt is geared more towards Coral and Frag and it help with your Calcium Levels and other Benifical Level that you need for your Reef.... and I believe Marine Salt is basically if your just doing FO or FOWLR.... At least thats how I see it.... JMO... I could be wrong

I use Reef Crystals...$49.99 at my LFS (160g bucket)

I supplement B-Ionic 2 part system

CA - 420ish
DkH - 9-10
Mag - 1300ish

All other readings I don't worry with so much. I like RC because it dissolves easily and keeps my system in balance. I have had fewer issues since I went with it and I don't intend to change anytime soon...well unless Deltec drops the price of their salt mix....

Reef Crystals.
I supplement with food (no real corals).

Back
Top Bottom