Salt Mixes best for RO/DI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess this question shouldn't be asked, but everyone has there opinion and I want some insight on it? I know this is a hard topic to talk about because everyone uses there own salt mix or they like what they are using. But what I want to know is what would be a good mix for RO/DI water? I know IO salt is good for Tap water cause it doesn't contain as much of the chemical balance that most Salt mixes make. I know there are some salt mixes that produce more calcium and all the goods that are needed for a Reef Tank. Let me know what you guys think would be good choice without the different varieties of way salt mixes can be used. I understand the concept of salt mixes but just trying to get the minds working tonight i Guess...LOL... Let me know...

Hey Tank!

I think this is a pretty good question and I am interested to hear what others have to say as well...although I am sure you are right, every one of us could have a different opinion. For me, I started out with Kent's Sea Salt but the LFS closest to my house didn't carry it so I switched over to IO reef crystals and haven't looked back. I've always used RO water and at first, I was using reef crystals even though my tank was FOWLR at the time. Unfortunately, I never did any experimenting with other brands so I can't give any comparisons but I can say that this salt mix has never given me a reason to change...if that is worth anything.

Good Stuff... I know there are others that want to chime in so i'll sit back and wait... :)

I prefer Instant Ocean regardless if mixing with tap or ro/di and if I were to ever stray it would be to Reef Crystals.

I use Oceanic salt mix with my RO/DI water. I`ve had good results with calcium readings using it. That`s the main reason for me. Calcium stays between 450 and 480.

Ah yes...the best salt thread. We haven't have 1 in what...2-3 weeks? ;)
Anyway, I will tell my tale...lol. I use Red Sea Coral Pro. I used Red Sea previously and switched to the Coral Pro when that came out. When I make up my new water, it tests about 480 ca, 7 dKH and 1325 mg. The ca is a little higher than I run my tank (about 430), the alk is low and the mag is just right. So.....I dose baking soda in the fresh mix to get the alk up to about 11 dKH. Now what happens is since I also dose 2-part every day, over time my calcium starts rising. I had to make an adjustment to how much of each 2 part I was dosing. It's not equal parts now so I can't cook them both up at the same time. :( The higher ca in the salt mix just made things a little more complicated in my case.
I know alot of people and have seen some awesome tanks, the PSU 500g reef for example, where Instant Ocean is used. But that's not all. There was a thread on RC about this and I asked Sanjay about it. IO typically tests at about 340 ca, 12 dKH and 1100 mg. So they bump up the ca and mag in the new mix with the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride you can get from Bulk Reef Supply. So they make the mix to maybe 32ppt and then dose. Adding the ca and mg raises both those levels, plus it raises the sg. You are now using less salt to get to 35ppt and you have your ca, alk and mg levels all at optimal levels. It is actually cheaper to use IO and dose the ca and mg than it is to use IO alone to get to 35ppt! The cost for the amount of ca and mg to raise the sg cost less the extra salt needed to get to 35ppt. IO is usually the cheapest to buy to begin with.
I think when I finish the bucket I'm using now, I'm going to try the IO.

IO typically tests at about 340 ca

This is what I mean about IO is some what good with tap water I tested my water and the Calcium Levels in my tap water are about 140ca to 200ca depending on the day....... That's why I said IO can be good for Tap water because it adds the extra Ca in. IMO... But lets bring in some more thoughts. :D

I've also heard it said (by reputable folk) that the calcium that is in your tap water is not "available" for use by coral. I have no idea whether that's true or not because I'm not a chemist.

Some of the salts out there now imply that their salt is best for use with RO/DI. I think that's just an interesting marketing ploy. In reality, I bet ALL salt mixes are formulated using RO/DI water.

how bout reef crystals? i thought that it was supposed to be more suited for corals than instant ocean? but it seems like most people use IO over RC. i kno theres a price difference and i dont kno nuttin abut the chemicals or w/e so just curious as to why many ppl prefer IO?

i use oceanic salt, i get it from pets mart for 35 bucks, makes 90 gallons or so depending on concentration and is a very fine powder. it also comes in a nice fancy blue container w/ a handle and small screw on top to keep it air tight.

i do not have hard corals or anything fancy, but i do have some soft corals which seem to be doing great, and i have coralline growing in the tank also.

how bout reef crystals? i thought that it was supposed to be more suited for corals than instant ocean? but it seems like most people use IO over RC. i kno theres a price difference and i dont kno nuttin abut the chemicals or w/e so just curious as to why many ppl prefer IO?

I believe it might be there choice on using IO over RC because IO does not have a high volume of CA, MG ALK, PHOS,... ETC.... So in this case they are adding more of what is need to there likings. Not saying that RC isn't great I use IO and right now and I want to test a new Salt mix since Tap water has some many chemicals it in it's really hard to tell how your levels are everyday especailly topping off... Tap water changes from week to week. So right now I guess i am excited to use something different thats going to work well with RO/DI....

There was a thread on RC about this and I asked Sanjay about it. IO typically tests at about 340 ca, 12 dKH and 1100 mg. So they bump up the ca and mag in the new mix with the calcium chloride and magnesium chloride you can get from Bulk Reef Supply. So they make the mix to maybe 32ppt and then dose. Adding the ca and mg raises both those levels, plus it raises the sg. You are now using less salt to get to 35ppt and you have your ca, alk and mg levels all at optimal levels.quote]

What are considered optimal levels???

I switched from IO to RC. I am on well water and even with my RO/DI, my Ca is still off the charts.

It's really a personal preference, if IO works for you go for it. Sometimes I had trouble with it dissolving and I had lots of cyano (but this could have been me being new and not using proper husbandry practices....). I really think it comes down to the water quality out of the tap and PWC schedules, feeding, lighting and many other factors.

The best salt is the one that works for you, is readily available, and you can get it when you need it. That's about the only hard facts there are in these type of questions.

Maybe What I am trying to get at is what salt mix will give you the Best Water Parameter readings without adding anything extra? I think this should clear up more or less what my whole Thread is about and why I wanted to bring this question up again.... I know its personal Perference but theres got to be a exact explanation of Salt mixes.... Sorry I hope i am not upsetting anyone with this issue I know it is a touchy subject....:D

Back
Top Bottom