salt to fresh(sand or gravel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
if i decide to change to fresh water,what is the best sand or gravel?i just bought this sand for a dollar a pound and hate to just throw it away but i might have to so what is the cheaper route?

Hi. If you already have the sand, just use that one. Personally I really like the look of the sand than the gravel. Although I haven't had them in my tanks, which I regretted, since I love the look of them after I saw how the other members here used them.

The other question is, would you have a planted tank or just fake plants in your tank? I am just asking because you need some fertilizer and some root tablets if you will have plants. Sand do not have enough nutrients compare to the other substrate that is sold specifically for aquascaping. So you need additional ferts and tabs for your plants. BUT if you will just use fake plants, that is no problem at all. Sky is the limit with sand. :)

Last edited:
You did say you just bought that sand, right? just making sure that you haven't used it for your saltwater yet.

Back
Top Bottom