Salt water evap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should be! What size tank is it? I have to top off on my 55g a couple of times a week and my 10 even more. Make sure to top off with ro-di water because the water evaporates but the salt doesn't. What's your salinity at?

It should be! What size tank is it? I have to top off on my 55g a couple of times a week and my 10 even more. Make sure to top off with ro-di water because the water evaporates but the salt doesn't. What's your salinity at?

It's a 30 gal .. So evap is normal then?... It's 1.021 what do you mean by top off?..

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 30 gal .. So evap is normal then?... It's 1.021 what do you mean by top off?..

Topping off means replacing the water lost through evaporation with fresh unsalted water. If you don't regularly replace the lost water then the salt levels will climb higher and higher in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Topping off means replacing the water lost through evaporation with fresh unsalted water. If you don't regularly replace the lost water then the salt levels will climb higher and higher in the tank.

Oh ok got it! Thanks a lot!

key is to replace it with UNSALTED water. (rodi) salt is a mineral and therefore does not evaporate out of a tank

Back
Top Bottom