salt.. what type do YOU use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What brand of salt do YOU use?

• Reef Crystals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Sea

• Kent

• Oceanic

• Total voters
I use Red Sea.
1- Because that's what was available when I started my QT.
2- There was a major rebate sale later on and I purchased 2 buckets.

I'll have all the salt I need, for a while, when I will finally start my main tank.

8)

Oceanic...but I am having the well-known high Ca / low ph (and Alk) problem with it. Last bucket of this I will buy. I will switch to Kent or Tropic Marin.

My lfs started me off with CoralLife. I switched to IO, tried Oceanic because of how easily it mixed but had the high CA/low pH problems, so now I'm using Kent. I don't think I'll change from that unless they change their formulation.

I am using coralife as well. the pH always seems a bit low after mixing though. I might try something new as I run low.

i use oceanic and reason being is that i got a 200 gal bucket for 40$ and it has a resealable lid with a rubber ring to prevent moisture from getting in.

Hmm... I'm wondering if we could do our own study here of the salts... comparison of each persons ph and calcium, but there are so many factors to keep track of...
I'm going to be keepin this thought on the backburner, if anybody wants to post suggestions of how we could work it...

zuzecawi said:
Hmm... I'm wondering if we could do our own study here of the salts... comparison of each persons ph and calcium, but there are so many factors to keep track of...
I'm going to be keepin this thought on the backburner, if anybody wants to post suggestions of how we could work it...

It wouldn't be that hard really...basically make a spread sheet with a graph of each sample level you wanted. I mean, you would use the averages of each entry, and with more entries, you would get a better average over all. If you email me privately I "think" I could show you how to do it.

Figuring out that spreadsheet

Hey, don't know if anybody around there can figure this, but the suggestion of a spread sheet has me wondering. Been lurking awhile, moved into a newly purchased home, and the tanks took a back burner for a while. Had to leave town, came back and the pet sitter had demolished my aquarium, ("I didn't really know what to do when I ran out of that water you mixed up so I just started adding chemicals") Well... when the algae started taking over I guess he just shut down the lights and everything and when I got back there was nothing left but HUGE sponges and a mass of green and red hair algae. Now things are on the long slow mend... the only livestock left other than inverts are one blenny and one six line wrasse, and the corals save for some lonely shrunken zoo's are all gone as well. I still don't know how anybody managed to wipe out a established system so damn fast! I was only gone a month. So back to the point of this thread...
Came back and the lfs also quit carrying the salt I used (red sea) and switched to a brand I never heard of, Pacific Ocean. Anybody run into this?

Back
Top Bottom