Saltwater lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trdrollinon22s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just how dangerous are they ????

Attachments

• image-4225750611.jpg
    image-4225750611.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 107
Not verry just dont touch its dorsal fins and youll be fine if you do touch its fins and it "stings" you it'll feel like a strong bee sting maybe for a few days... running hot water over the sting helps and i mean as hot as you can stand the hotter the better it helps break the venom up. Thats a nice looking lion fish

He is very pretty !! I got shrimp scolopes and silver side minnows all frozen !!! Do they like live feeder fish better ???

Attachments

• image-4127276143.jpg
    image-4127276143.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 122
I used to feed live gold fish to mine when i had them i had a vitola i think thats how its spelled and a fuzzy dwarf the dwarf would eat frozen brine shrip cubes and super small feeder gold fish and the other one would just eat gold fish never could get it to eat anything else that was about 15+ years ago and i just reset up my tank about 6 months ago or so and havent gotten my fish stock back yet but am working on it

You were meaning how dangerous to humans when you asked right? Cuz to fish anything smaller than its mouth is kinda fair game to them and they may sting fish that are bugging them and that could be fatal to the fish... although iv never witnessed mine do that and i used to keep them well fed and they never messed with my damsels or clowns my grouper did eat some damsels when it got bigger than them but never got the clowns they would kick it in there nem

If you want to feed live fish do a google search on thiaminase. Feeder goldfish contain it and it leads to health issues. Maybe look into livebearers as they don't contain the enzyme and breed easily so you can have a steady supply of food without buying it.i just started breeding guppies for that very reason.

If you want to feed live fish do a google search on thiaminase. Feeder goldfish contain it and it leads to health issues. Maybe look into livebearers as they don't contain the enzyme and breed easily so you can have a steady supply of food without buying it.i just started breeding guppies for that very reason.
+1 ,don't feed any predator fish feeder goldfish..If anything get the lion eating frozen ,,it will be the best for him in the long run(y)

Well i did say that was like 15+ years ago im sure that it wasnt considered bad then and sciences change as studies are done. i used to feed all my fish that we had gold fish and never had problems with them living to be about 5 or 6 years old. (Trigger, lions, a shark and even groupers) we (my dad brother and i) used to feel that they would eat live food in the wild so they should eat live food in the tank although gold fish dont exist in the environment that those fish came from they were the most available and inexpensive food source that was considered acceptable back then although guppies would be better if you were breeding them your self and letting the fish have at them (+1 for not feeding gold fish to saltwater fish)

Ok guys thanks. I have fresh water bosmia rainbow babies but they are expensive at stores!! What about the little albino feeders. I also have frozen silver sides to

Attachments

• image-3488835536.jpg
    image-3488835536.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 75
I believe by albino feeders your referring to rosey reds aka feeder minnows. If so they contain thiaminase also. I know they do have feeder guppies but if you can get them is the question. That's why I opted to just breed my own. Mollies and platies are also good for feeders but they are expensive unless you breed them. Some people actually feed cichlids but I would avoid this also since they have such spiny dorsal fins. You can feed with goldfish or minnows but it should be done very occasionally and the staple of the diet should be something else, good quality prepares foods are best but if you have to feed live make sure it's quality food and gut load first(feed the guppies or whatever first)

I'd love to keep one but my 54 corner isn't A suitable home for A fish that size. yours looks outstanding.

I got ya. I got the lion for free. The guy didn't feed him for atleast 2 weeks. I just can't stand wen people get pets than they can't take care of the. I also adopted a red tail boa and a corn snake from the local shelter :). I love animals

Back
Top Bottom