Saltwater pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I know next to nothing about sw fish. Maybe someone has some idea of what I caught over the weekend. Unfortunately, it escaped before I could get a pic. We were crabbing in a Barnegat Bay off the NJ coast (maybe 6-8ft depth) with bunker and the only thing I caught was an odd fish that I can only describe as what looked exactly like a scary looking pleco (brown & black mottled skin with large mouth & spikes on back, 1ft long & fat). Doesnt match sw catfish pics. I realize this is difficult without a pic but I am wondering if anyone in the sw community has any idea of what this fish was? My curiousity has gotten the better of me! Thanks!!! :)

That's a sea robin...the grunt too...hope you threw him back, from what I remember as a kid, I heard they didn't taste too,good...

Thanks!!! Thats the closest thing I have seen to the strange fish! Not exact (coloring was very different) but I imagine there are a variety of species. I appreciate the input in identifying the odd (but fascinating) creature! :)

The ones up north are an ugly grey/brown color. I remember catching them as a kid on long island. We caught puffer fish up their too at the piers at jones beach. We'd make the puffer puff up wnd throw them back and watch them float till the deflated. Ha ha. Made me think of some good memories with my family. Thanks!!!

The ones up north are an ugly grey/brown color. I remember catching them as a kid on long island. We caught puffer fish up their too at the piers at jones beach. We'd make the puffer puff up wnd throw them back and watch them float till the deflated. Ha ha. Made me think of some good memories with my family. Thanks!!!

Doing the same for my little girl right now!! Thanks for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom