Saltwater Reef Tank Contaminated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drbrown214

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have an issue and I am lost. My reef tank has bee doing great. All of my Shrooms and Brains and just everything is doing great. THey are growing and spreading nicely. I have no concerns whatsoever with those. I have been testing all water parameters and also, everything is good. My phos was a little high at one point but phos remover and water changes cleared that problem. I had, yes i say had, a nice tang, watchman goby, 2 clownfish, and a damsel and a sand sifter, cannot recall the names of the last 2. 4 cleaner shrimp, have a couple of turbo snails and hermits. So i brought a fish and Boom, ICH problem. OK cool. I treated my fish food with Garlic. Raised my temp from 75 to 81-82 and it seemed to go away. I bought No parasite or whatever it is called. I added that and within a day every single fish and shrimp was dead. First assumption was the product and i called the company and researched it and tested the parameters of the water so somehow i was able to rule that one out. Maybe something went toxic from the corals, but all of the snails survived. I am pretty sure that the snails are the first to go if something was toxic. I let the tank sink and added some cheap damsels to see how the tank was.. it is pretty mature, but both of them died within 2 days. i am not sure what it is that i can attempt. i have a silent killer in my tank and could not tell you where, why, how... i am ready to give up

Sorry for your losses, I am dealing with a similar situation. Best thing to do is to let your tank stay fallow for around 28-36 days - This is typically the lifecycle of a parasite without a host. That should give enough time for your tank to "Cleanse" itself.

Keep up on normal pwc's.

I hope that the product wasn't copper based... Did you treat your main display tank with it? If you did you might have added chemicals / metals that can not be removed easily.

no the product that was added is organic or some crap like that. I believe i brought a fish that may have had ich. not too sure. i know that you cant use copper for the reef system.

It seems odd that they all died so fast - I don't think ICH kills that quickly. I think there might be something else afoot.

Don't give up, one suggestion I was given was to test for pH low or high. Maybe look into this.

Back
Top Bottom