Saltwater tank lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi
I have just upgraded to a 75 gallon saltwater tank from a 29 gallon tank.

I was wondering what is the best lid for the tank. For my 29 gallon I had a reptile tank lid. It was black and metal. I started to see some rust on it and started getting pretty dirty. So I dont want to use that for the 75 gallon. I have had my clownfish jump out before that's why I want a lid so no fishes can jump out.
Now I have read having no lid is good for the system and also for the amount of light getting in the tank.

Anyone know which type of lid is the best. Even if I have to make one what should I use? We had gotten some aluminum net to make it lid but thought maybe it would get to hot with the light and is that also ok for the tank.
Please help!

75 gallon
85 pounds of live rock
Live sand
Royal gramma
Pajama fish
Cleaner shrimp
Snails
Crabs

Fish be moved in
2 clownfish
Six line
Demsal
Dragonet

Thanks!

Hey bud. Ditch the metal lid asap. Go to a local glass cutting place and get some panels cut. I don't know where you live buts I went to mops.ca for hinges and back striping and handles for my glass. Also does your six line wrasse torture everything in the tank? It's real easy to make ur own lid. And it looks like they were pro done

I'd vote for something that lets air in and out and allows light freely. Polypropelene netting. I got plenty of it. Made this with stainless steel screws, pvc quarter round and pvc glue.

Attachments

• back side with hood.jpg
    back side with hood.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 121
What if you extended the top of the aquarium a bit 3-4" with some acrylic or wood? This way the fish would have to jump higher to get out and you would have good light/air exchange.

Back
Top Bottom