Saltwater to Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been a member on here for while now but haven't posted in about as long! Anyway, I'm converting my Saltwater to Freshwater and wondering if it's ok to reuse the crushed coral that's in there.

I siphoned out the old saltwater and added freshwater already and I'm slowly filtering out the remnants.

Any advice on how I should go about it?

As many people, including myself, add salt to their freshwater aquariums I see no problem. As long as there were no other biological problems with the salt tank.

The crushed coral should be fine as long as you don't mind it buffering you water up to a pH of 7.8 ..... If your tap is very far from this, you'll also need to be a bit careful with large water changes.

But as for the salt, as long as you rinse most of it out, should be OK.

You will end up with very high pH water using crushed coral. Sometimes it is recommended for people who have very soft or acid water but in general, the added pH and KH is not needed or desirable.

What type of fish/inverts are you looking to keep? There are many fish capable of being kept with CC such as African Cichlids, but there are others such as discus and inverts like CRS/CBS that would do much better in soft/acidic water. The CRS/CBS will not breed and will die in water that is too hard and alkaline. Discus can be kept in a pH of 8.0 and in harder water but it's best to keep them in an acidic tank to prevent many types of bacterial infections and it's better for them to breed as well. What are your water parameters? You will most likely not have to do anything to your water for most FW fish/inverts.

Back
Top Bottom