Same ol' cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
i semi seeded my cycling tank, and its been 2 1/2 days. i first added about 4 PPM amonia, and now its almost gone. do i keep adding more and keep it at 3-4 till i see nitrites?

Firstly, that's great that it's almost gone in only 2.5 days. Secondly, how almost gone is almost gone (like .25ppm?) ? If you're still seeing ammonia, then the nitrifying bacteria have something to metabolize. I usually wait until it shows 0, and then dose it daily to keep it slightly above 0. Others on here tend to dose it back up to 4ppm each time; both, in my opinion, are correct ways of doing it. The 4ppm route will allow for a larger bio-load upon stocking, at least.

Congratulations on having the patience to fishless cycle...you will thank yourself in the end.

it is between .50 and 1. you can almost never tell with these **** charts, haha.

alright, i think i will just dose it up a little everyday, due to me only adding shrimp to it.

And i know, aha. im not a very patient person, yet, i dont like working harder then needed so fishless it is.

Are you using a liquid test or a dip test? I'd also recommend ditching the shrimp and dosing pure ammonia. It's better to be in control of the amount going into your tank. Shrimp does work, though.

Anyway, if it's between that (and accuracy is assured), then there is no need to...I almost said dose...add more shrimp?

liquid tests

and i have no shrimp yet haha, sorry if i said that previously.

and i dont get your last sentence...

I'm confused, lol. So, what is your ammonia source currently?

For future reference, try not to bypass the swear filter.

Okay, so then my advice in my first response stands! You had me confused with the shrimp, haha.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom