Sand and gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can sand and gravel mix. If so, how with fish in tank? I want to add a "beech area to my tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Or a little nap area for corys

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Or a little nap area for corys

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. I have Cory cats but their whiskers don't look to well because of the grave. I would like to get them sand

same here /i think just remove rocks from 1 side pour sand in gently but no sand over rocks ..
correct me if im wrong .

Will the sand make the water cloudy? Should I remove my fish

If you mean having both in the tank together, like left and right or front and back idea, you would need a partition to keep them separate. If not, they will "blend" together and the sand will end up under the rocks never to be seen again.

Then even with the partition, you could still lose it all during WC's, flow rate of the filter, or if you have quick fish that may stir it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

best to move fish unplug filter and let sand settle then plug back in then add fish

I wal thinkin of using some shale and having the gravel a higer level and a path to the beach

I have a mixture of sand and gravel. It's a nice look for a tank. It's not a beach for me anymore but I did have a sand beach in my tank. But mixed it together when I restarted/implanted under gravel filter. From what I've read that sand shouldn't do much damage to cat barbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wash the sand until it flows clear, make a sand path slightly off centre, wide at the front going narrow towards the back, alternatively, remove some gravel in a half circle at the front, use small rocks to hold the gravel back, and put your sand in at the front......just a thought

I mixed a 20 lb bag of sand specific for aquariums, with 20 lbs of gravel, for my 29 gallon. I should have used less gravel.

Over time they mix and gravel comes more to the top but since I used a larger sized gravel it's easy to rearrange more rocky vs more sandy with my hands.

I keep reading claims that cories do fine with gravel meant for aquariums; they say it's more water quality than substrate. My loaches do fine with the mix I hAve.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks.
Here are some pics of what I want to doImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414099919.124900.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414099874.066431.jpg

Use a funnel and hose to gently put the sand to the bottom of tank. Water will cloud slightly but should settle quick. I never had to remove the fish doing it this way.

Hi Ethan,
It's worth doing a search of the forum on switching to sand, I've seen quite a few posts with a lot of good advice. I personally have only used one or the other so I can't speak to having both in one tank. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom