sand as substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollywood11892

Aquarium Advice Activist
so im starting a 55 freshwater and bought play sand for it and was wondering how would i keep it clean because im used to gravel

When you clean it swirl the gravel vac over the sand so it will stir it up a little. The sand will fall back down while the junk gets sucked in.

I don't know how fine you play sand is, but I found that if the sand is too fine it very hard to clean it before you put it in the tank. Pool filter sand is what I use and it works great.

No, you can't jam the vac into the sand cause then yes you will suck up sand lol. Just swirl it over the sand a couple inches from the surface and you should be good.

Umm you may want to post in the planted fish tank section of the site. I'm personally not one with plants in my fish tank (wish I was). I depends on what kind of plants you have. Some plants need more light then others, some may need co2 put in the tank.

It's something I'm trying to get into myself. I'm reaching a lot, that something.g you should do as well.

Yes throw a little bit of the sand your using, and fit the bucket with water. After that use something to stir the sand around. And then pour the dirty water out. For each portion of sand you need to rise it out like 6 7 times, or untill you can stir it and the water is clear. Repeat that till your tank bottem is covered.

Back
Top Bottom