Sand bed removal help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Really thinking about switching out my sand. I used Tropic Eden Mini flakes and then added some Tropic Eden Reef flakes. All the mini flakes sunk to the bottom so now the sand bed just look ugh! I love a smooth uniform sand bed. I have 80 pounds of Tropic Eden Mini Flakes live sand coming. The only hard part is I dont want to remove all my rocks and I have alot of sand dwelling snails like cerith and Nass's. Anyone think of a easy way to do this?

This works if you have a sump Use an 1/2'' hose to siphon the sand into a filter bag placed in the sump (knee high panty hose works too) this way the water stays in the system allowing you to remove the sand. pour the sand in a dish pan and pick out any thing you want to save. where gloves as theres some freaky stuff living in it lol

Change out no more than a 1/4 of the sand at a time (4 weeks to finish) I used a 2'' PVC pipe as a dam to keep the old from mixing with the new, by doing it this way the old sand can seed the new.

Back
Top Bottom