Overfed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
My toddler dumped three containers of fish food in my 10 gallon betta fish tank when I was up putting baby to bed. I didn’t notice it until 30 min later. I normally have it in a locked cab but didn’t latch it after morning feeding! Ugh! I immediately started cleaning the tank. It took me 2 hours of vaccum, adding water, vaccum. Every time I’d add water more food got stirred up from the sand. I don’t think it’s still totally clean and will do more tomorrow, but there is none floating now. My betta is just sitting there and just stomach is so big. I really hope he doesn’t die! I don’t want to change the water until it goes down as more might get stirred up and cause him to keep eating. Should I give him part of a pea tomorrow morning to help push it all out? It’s been 6 hours and he’s still alive. She dumped the whole thing is dried shrink, tropical fish flakes I had from a previous Fish and all his betta pellets. The tropical flakes were the biggest mess and they covered the whole 10 gallon tank like snow

Im not sure about all bettas but I know mine won't eat more then it needs or wants. There has been countless times I fed mine and there are left over food on the gravel floor. So I would say that cleaning the tank completely for hygienic purposes is the way to move forward. Also i have a story similar to yours. I accidently knocked over a canister of blood worms into my betta fish tank. It was surely a mess and took awhile to clean. He was bloated for about 3 days but he survived the feast. Hopefully this helps.

Back
Top Bottom