Sand, gravel and water chemistry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all.

I am now having regrets about the gravel I am using in my aquarium. It has been set up for around 5 weeks now, fully cycled with 2 rams and 10 neons. I am thinking of getting some cories and understand that they prefer sand. I am also thinking that sand might be easier on the rams as they do like a dig around and it may make their sinking granules more easy to spot. I am thinking of changing to a black sand to help bring out the colour of these fish as well.

Now I have never used sand, only gravel, and while I understand that sand needs to be cleaned differently (I am a little clumsy so would need to practice this!) I am also worried about any possible effect on my beneficial bacteria levels if I remove the established gravel. I have seen conflicting thoughts on where this bacteria lives, some say mostly in the gravel and some mostly in the filter but would changing to sand effect this? I don't want to go through anothwer cycle. Also my filter sits very low in my aquarium and while it does not touch the gravel I don't want it to get gundged up with sand and break down.

So any thoughts on chaning to sand in week 5 of a new tank? Any possible problems with water chemistry and bacteria and any advice regarding filters?

Thanks in advance.

matty2085 said:
Hi all.

I am now having regrets about the gravel I am using in my aquarium. It has been set up for around 5 weeks now, fully cycled with 2 rams and 10 neons. I am thinking of getting some cories and understand that they prefer sand. I am also thinking that sand might be easier on the rams as they do like a dig around and it may make their sinking granules more easy to spot. I am thinking of changing to a black sand to help bring out the colour of these fish as well.

Now I have never used sand, only gravel, and while I understand that sand needs to be cleaned differently (I am a little clumsy so would need to practice this!) I am also worried about any possible effect on my beneficial bacteria levels if I remove the established gravel. I have seen conflicting thoughts on where this bacteria lives, some say mostly in the gravel and some mostly in the filter but would changing to sand effect this? I don't want to go through anothwer cycle. Also my filter sits very low in my aquarium and while it does not touch the gravel I don't want it to get gundged up with sand and break down.

So any thoughts on chaning to sand in week 5 of a new tank? Any possible problems with water chemistry and bacteria and any advice regarding filters?

Thanks in advance.

I think you would be fine. I cleaned my sand by putting it in a bucket then keep rinsing it until it stopped having little debris at the top. And i switched mine by taking out half of the gravel then a few days later I took all my bottom level fish out then just poured it in. My tank never got cloudy. First before you get it though make sure your filter is able to have sand? <Don't know if I worded that right.

what kind of filter dp ypu have? most likely you will be ok with your filtter. As for cleaning sand in the tank all you have to do is to keep your syphon 1/2" above the sand. If you refer to rinsing sand in a bucket do it in parts till you dont se no debris floating

OK great thanks. The more i think about it the more I think it would make sense both for the fish I have and want as well as for the look of the aquarium as a whole. Does anyone know how much I would need for an aquarium with a footprint of 93cm x 37cm. I know it has to be around and inch deep but am not great with maths so anyone with any experience of required quantaties would be great.

Well today was the big day and I decided to go for a black sand from my LFS. I have to say I am so pleased with results and so are my corys! They are loving it. My rams are still not talking to me...although I think they will come around soon. :)

I have attached a pic of the new setup as well as pics of both my rams who have decided to change colour and match the sand. I'm still thinking they are both males but if anyone else has another opinion please do say. Thanks again for the advice with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 76
Thanks. I have to say I am very pleased with the look now. Colours seem much brighter.

Looks great! I'd give the Rams a bit more time to color up; moving stuff around might have stressed them out some.

Back
Top Bottom