sand in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im starting up a new 55 gallon tank and I am in the process of trying to control the clowdy/sandy water. I had the sand in(after i rinsed it outside) then all the water, then let the tank sit for a couple of days hoping it would settle a bit. Welp, it didnt really clear up. I just dumped out 3/4 of the water and now what? Should I empty the tank completely of water and start over again? Im pretty far from any sinks so right now im bucketing the water and pouring in as gently as possible.... Any suggestions would be great.

Put a plate upside down over the sand and pour the water gently over that. That should help the sand from clouding up too badly. What type of sand tho? I wonder if its maybe too fine for an aquarium; really fine sand gets into the filter and messes up the impeller.

yeah lol i had sand as some of you know i changed to gravel since its alot easier

if your having 2nd thoughts change now because sand to me is a heck more work then gravel and you gotta poke through it etc.. but it looks better in a way too and the fish'll prolly love u for it like corys and loaches... yeah the impeller thing it took me like 15 mins of pushing the thing back and forth/rinsing to get all the sand out

if its cloudy id suggest siphoning out like all the water if theres no fish and redo it because most of the lil sand is in the water :) it took me like 4-5 water changes to clear my water up but after all that decided to change back to gravel

Back
Top Bottom