Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmagregory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with very small Clown Loach, Glow tetras, Sword Tail and Molly.
Q Is sand more suitable than Gravel especially for the Loaches and if so is a HOB filter ok or will it get clogged up / damaged by the grains ?
Also will sand be cleaner than gravel ?

I have a 55 gallon tank with very small Clown Loach, Glow tetras, Sword Tail and Molly.
Q Is sand more suitable than Gravel especially for the Loaches and if so is a HOB filter ok or will it get clogged up / damaged by the grains ?
Also will sand be cleaner than gravel ?

Sand is the way to go.

Get a larger grain size (0.8-1.2mm) and avoid Play Sand.

It will definitely take longer to initially rinse compared to gravel.

Any bottom-feeder will appreciate smooth sand over sharp gravel.

It will not trap detritus as much as gravel.

It will 'look' dirtier than gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have sand in my tanks. I started out with gravel and switched it over about two years ago. I love the sand, it's true you can see more dirt on it than the gravel but I'm ok with that.

I have cory cats and they love the sand. One of the reasons I wanted sand was because I wanted those guys.

I've never had an issue with my filter and sand.

I prefer the look of sand. But its more maintenance and grains get trapped in filter and sometimes get sucked out with gravel vac.
So I just stick with gravel. Very easy to maintain and clean... just looks boring though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I prefer the look of sand. But its more maintenance and grains get trapped in filter and sometimes get sucked out with gravel vac.
So I just stick with gravel. Very easy to maintain and clean... just looks boring though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is why you get a larger grain size.

None of that powder crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom