sand substrate and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neoginn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, i have made planted aquariums in the past, but this time I am using a sand substrate. i am using home depots play sand, and i am wondering if i should use a weak power head. my reason for this is because sand has tendency to shift.

I guess the question is what are you planning on using the powerhead for?

u dont really need that much aggitation in the water. aslong as your filter is sufficient to circulate the water u dont need a powerhead. playsand is an ok substrate but like u said it is light so u may have a problem keeping down some plants. but if u do want to keep the powerhead keep it close to the top and have it just below the water level so it only moves the top. but this is a bad idea if u have co2 since it will out gas it.

dont know if I would use a power head. I have a simple external hanging filter on my 55G planted and my fish seem to get all the o2 they need. I'm using Lowes Play sand made by Quikrete. Make sure you rinse the sand well or you'll have a cloud for a few days. Try putting 25% of the bag in a 5G bucket and stick in a hose on low pressure and just keep sticking the end of the hose in the sand till it hits the bottom of the bucket then pull it out and move over a few inches. All the nice sand you want to keep will stay in the bucket while the very fine dust runs out of the top of the bucket. also make a low spot in your tank and the waste will collect there. Then you will only need to siphon in that low spot for the most part. Usually 1-2 times a week which will then be a good time to do a water change anyways. My Khuli and YoYo Loaches love the sand.

ok, no powerhead then. But i got another important question, how deep of a sand bed should i make. dont want to deal with any nitrate problems :) and have you noticed its impossible to find any java moss?

I'd go for about the same as any other substrate in a planted tank, around 3". Adding some MTS will help keep it stirred and prevent possible problems with it compacting too much.

Java Moss has always been readily available in my area. You could always post a want add in the Barter/Trade area as I bet someone would be willing to send you some.

i got lots. where are u located? i can find out shipping cost for u and send it. i could also send u some christmas moss. pm me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom