Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
how many pounds of sand would i need for a 10gal nano tank? i plan on 20lbs of LR as well and would like to get some sand sifting fish so i would like a decent amouth of sand. i really just need an estimate so i dont order to much. any suggestions?

get a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand for about $12... use what you want and save the rest for something else

Populist opinion is not to use silica based sand although I've never seen any hard scientific evidence that silica based sand leads to increased algae. It is factual that the edges of silica sand are sharper than aragonite sand and thus some believe that this irritates sand dwellers. It has round grains that pass easily through the gills of gobies and other sand-sifting organisms. Having never spoke to my goby or snails so I can neither confirm or deny this belief.

Good article....Silica in Reef Aquariums.
"Is it OK to use silica sand? Probably. Many people do so. I also believe that not all “silica “ sands will be the same for the reasons described above relating to processing of the sand and the nature of the mineral inclusions present. So the fact that many people successfully use some (or many) types of silica sand does not necessarily imply that all people can use any type of “silica” sand without a problem."

ok caribsea isnt that expensive on Bigals so i willfind out how much i need and if it isnt too much then i will just spring for the aragonite. does anyone know the dimensions for an ordinary 10gal tank, not a nanocube or anything just a normal rectangular tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom