Sand + Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't it, planted tanks and goldfish don't usually coincide together? I thought goldfish like to eat/destroy plants?

Anyway...I'd go with eco complete before I'd go with flourite.

I am in this boat as well with my next tank I have planned... What exactly are "coldwater plants"?

I heard that the goldies will "scatter dust" and delicate plant leaves get covered and wilt away... Is this accurate?

I just recently sent the grandkids 8+ inch fancy goldfish home that I kept for years. Goldfish will do very well with a plain sand substrate. I actually had them in planted tanks with Eco Complete as my substrate. They need a fine, not sharp substrate because you need to feed goldies sinking pellets as eating from the surface makes them swallow too much air which can lead to swim bladder issues, which fancy goldfish are prone to anyway. So when they forage for the pellets in the substrate they actually pick up substrate and sift through it spitting out the substrate and eating the food.

As for plants if you feed your goldies a diet rich in veggies and some fruits they tend to leave plants alone, well to a point. Good plants to use with Goldies are Anubias, Java Ferns, Swords, and Crypts. Here's a nice example of a members GF tank... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/new-pics-of-my-90-gallon-goldfish-266061.html.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom