Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes and no Depends on what kindve sand your getting and wether or not it is prewashed but it never hurts to do a good rinse. A good rinse will help get rid of the fine particles and other debris thst can cloud a tank for a long time meaning multiple water changes to clear it.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes and no Depends on what kindve sand your getting and wether or not it is prewashed but it never hurts to do a good rinse. A good rinse will help get rid of the fine particles and other debris thst can cloud a tank for a long time meaning multiple water changes to clear it.

Got it! I have like the find substrate ... I put a bag on my 5.5 g and I did wash it before putting it in and lots of things came out ... But since I am doing it for my 20g now I was wondering if I needed to do all that lol
Thanks for your helps
I appreciate it

In my opinion if your using new sand I would rinse it all you've got to do is put it in a bucket and run water through the sand until its clear

I would say yes, otherwise the water will cloud for quite some time. Aside from that, all those particles in the water can get sucked into the filter and damage the impeller...could cost ya more in the long run :)

With pool filter sand i dont bother washing it. I add the sand, then use a plate to fill the tank. I follow that with a 100% water change and call it good. Ive never had any problems doing that.

On the other hand, most sands really really need to be rinsed. Play sand, silica sand, dyed sand, and black diamond blasting sand are all on that list along with others im sure.

Back
Top Bottom