Sand versus gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you have a small tank 5.5 gal what is best sand or gravel. I have gravel now but the crud sits in it causing water changes more often to clean it. I read a post that sand is better due to nothing getting in the sand like it would with gravel. Or is it just a matter of preference .

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sand is my favorite because like you.believe it is much easier to keep clean. It's also much easier to anchor decorations and plants in.

Sand is better! It leaves your tank nice and clean! No gravel is better, it leaves your tank silky and smooth!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sand is better! It leaves your tank nice and clean! No gravel is better, it leaves your tank silky and smooth!

How about both? Gravel with sand "rivers" running through it. Or sand with gravel rivers *shrug*

How about both? Gravel with sand "rivers" running through it. Or sand with gravel rivers *shrug*

It was an Adam Sandler quote, kind of... Billy Madison, shampoo vs. Conditioner.

But yes.. pool filter sand is my fav thus far.. my one graveled tank is due for a re-strate.. soon..

How do I transfer my plant that has roots in the gravel . Plus I need to put my snail and betta somewhere while doing this so will my tank need to recycle all over again taking out gravel and adding sand

How do I transfer my plant that has roots in the gravel . Plus I need to put my snail and betta somewhere while doing this so will my tank need to recycle all over again taking out gravel and adding sand

You just need to pull up the plant and plant it again. There's nothing complicated about it.

You might have a mini cycle but as long as your filter doesn't get changed on a regular basis you will be fine. Just keep them in a bucket during the switch over.

That sounds simple. I will look at different pool sand as suggested so off to my new adventure.

One more question when I get the pool filter sand do I rinse it like gravel before putting it in the tank?

One more question when I get the pool filter sand do I rinse it like gravel before putting it in the tank?

I dont bother, but the pfs I get is fairly clean. Just do a complete water change and then add some filter floss to a filter and run it for a few hours. The water will be nice and clear.

That sounds simple. I will look at different pool sand as suggested so off to my new adventure.

I've already been down that road. AquaQuartz from Ace Hardware is easily the best sand out there. The pfs at Lowe's and Home Depot is junk (been there done that)

Simply pay on the net ($13 a bag) and pick up at the store one week later.

Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308) - Pool Maintenance Equipment - Ace Hardware

If you doubt this, search this site for pfs and you'll hear the same thing again and again.

Take Care

I have black sand blasting sand from tractor supply store. Another option......

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone ;)

Back
Top Bottom