Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand would be great for a planted tank. From what I have seen many plants need a finer substrate to root. Just getting my planted tank going but I have sand in mine, sand in every tank I own for that matter.

Glad I cleared that up some of the sights I have been to said that sand is the worst thing for plants also any type of sand or aquarium sand

I've used play sand from home depot before it just need to be rinsed a few times and it pretty cheap 50lbs for about $5 pretty good for bigger tanks.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

play sand is too fine IMO. I tried it and absolutely hated it. PFS doesn't get sucked up in the filter or gravel vac, and doesn't create a 'dust storm' if fish dig around in it

The play sand does leave a cloud I had that problem too but after it finally did settle the water has been crystal clear. I do run a diatom filter once a month so that probably helped too. I do hear alot of good things about pfs though. I have sand from my lfs too and thats what I plan on planting in so who really knows lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I just paid 10 bucks for 50 pounds of pool filter sand. It's my understanding that most sands are too fine. They tend to pack down and block the flow of water beneath the surface of the sand thereby creating "dead" zones within the tank. The PFS has a diamater of between .45 mm and .55 mm which should be perfect for a bottom. Idealy, you'd first lay down a 1 inch layer of soil and cover it with sand to provide a better environment for the root growth of your plants. Bill in Va.

Back
Top Bottom