Scaping the Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there

Now i decided to do this thread because i think it's important that we provide a safe environment and a comfortable environment for fish.
Fish like plants now i dont really mean live plants you can use fake ones too. But in my opinion i think live plants add great depth and colour to a tank. But a fake plant that has lots of detail and colour like pink and red coloours that are normally hard to find and keep alive are able to do it maintence free and it wont die.
Now another good point to put fake plants in there is because fish like clown loaches like to nibble and eat the plant. But with the fake plants the fish cannot do this because they are made of plastic.
But i still can go past the beautiful contrast a plant thats living brings to the tank and im sure fish would love it too.
Now some fish for example Neons tetras like a planted tank with plenty of hiding spots. I cant think of many aquariums that look more beautiful than a tank heavily planted with a huge school of Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras.
But there are the down sides to live plants. Some may not be fully aquatic and lots of LFS sell non-aquatic plants and people buys these plants but these plants slowly rot and only add ammonia to the tank. Another on is that people dont have good enough lighting and the plants cant thrive in that environment because aquatic plants are photosynthetic. Meaning that they use light and turn that into food for themselves. That brings up another great point for fake plants. They dont need light and they dont need fertilizer for them to thrive also they dont take over the tank.
Now another thing that fish really like in the tank is driftwood. This is something that makes it kinda resemble their natural environment. They also like driftwood to munch on and gnaw on.
Some fish like bristlenose pleco/catfish live on it and like chew on it. The driftwood also provides hiding spots and is quite appealing to the eye. A tank that has driftwood in it are just better to look at than a tank with decorations like dragons and so on. But the down side to driftwood ios that it can be expensive if you want the right peice. Also you may not be able to find the right peice and have to search around for it.
Now some people may resort to going down to the local creek or lake and piking up a few peices there. Which is fine and quite ingenious but you ahve to boil it and strip the bark off it and soak it for ages.

Now i hope i have raised a few eyebrows and if you have anything to add or if you have something that you disagree with please dont hesitate and tell me
Jason

Some may not be fully aquatic and lots of LFS sell non-aquatic plants and people buys these plants but these plants slowly rot and only add ammonia to the tank.

I don't think petstores selling non aquatic plants is a downside to live plants. That's just petstores being stupid.

Another on is that people dont have good enough lighting and the plants cant thrive in that environment because aquatic plants are photosynthetic. Meaning that they use light and turn that into food for themselves.
You should let people know the requirements for live plants, but you don't want to discourage people from getting plants! :) Plus there's many options for low light tanks too. Oh, and for " aquatic plants are photosynthetic", all plants are :p (well, 99% maybe)

Nice writeup though. If you're making this sticky style, you should organize it a bit and correct your grammar :)

--Adeeb

I think when starting out most peoples tanks are rather sparse, less hiding places as they want to see the fish more, and that's what you see in stores as they want you to see the fish more too. But looking at established fish keepers tanks you generally see they are stacked full of plants and ornaments.

I too started out with quite a sparse tank but decided to go to the shop and buy a shed load of fake plants, and it looked much better for it!

Back
Top Bottom