Scarlet Badis Killer - Ich or Something else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Stock - 6 CPD 2 scarlet badis. Some bladder snails.
Size - 10g
Heavily planted
0-0-20
68* F
The scarlet badis both have some sort of white marking on them (only one) around teh dorsal fin (not on it)

The first to have this mark is now very sick and most liekly a goner. It actually seems like the white spot, which is right udnerneath dorsal fin, has eaten away the scales in that area. It is quite a small spot. Now, he is lethargic and breathing heavily.

The second fish to get this, about 2 days after, has a white mark in a similar area. His mark looks more raised and matches more the description of ich as a grain of salt. He is still eating heartily, but is starting to clamp his tailfin.

I feed them mostly grindal worms and at times baby brine shrimp, both live.

There is no funny behavior from anything else in the tank. CPDs are normal and snails are normal and aren't showing any signs of snail stress.

I am using Kordon rid-ich since it is snail safe but it doesnt seem to help. Symptoms started maybe 5 days ago. Very fast progression I guess, I think the fish will be dead in only a few days.

So what deos this disease sound like to you
Also, is there something wrong with how I am keeping them?
maybe i am overstock for scarlet badis... maybe 2 is too many in a 10g with my hardscape and plant layout (although it is haevily planted and they each should be able to territory without getting in each others way, but maybe not) Additionally, I've never noticed too much bullying. Occasional chasing after feeding
maybe i really should only have had these in species only. The store though, had them in multi species tank.
maybe their diet is poor
These fish are fully grown, but still young.

For salt and heat, i am a bit afraid to try. This will kill snails and i am afraid of quarantine stress.
This will also melt my plants and am afraid be stressful

Have you tried raising the temp a bit? 68 is on the lower end. You may want to raise it to the low 70s. But that sounds like ich. Can you post a pic?

Also, I personally use seachem paraguard... it is more multi spectrum and I have never had it kill a snail (argh, wish it did), hurt my plants or shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom