Schooling Fish w/ Red Tailed Black Shark & Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bods2021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is a good schooling fish to keep with a Red Tailed Black Shark and an Angelfish? Basically something that wont become food for the Angelfish or the shark and won't nip at the Angelfish's fins.

All the Tetra's that I research tend to be to nippy and all the Barbs I've researched tend to become food. Just looking for some advice.

My favorite tetras are rummynose tetras. They are very active and move about in a tight school. I also like emperor tetras.

How old are the Angelfish? If they're young and from captive bred lines then they'll usually leave Cardinal Tetras alone, even after they grow up (they seem to fail to realize they're big enough to eat them once they're full grown). If they're already adults I wouldn't try it though.

Rainbows are another option too, they usually aren't nippers and are large enough to not be seen as food.

Schooling Fish w/ Red Tailed Black Shark & Angelfish

Well technically they aren't any age. I'm in the process of cycling my new tank now and just trying to set out a plan for how I eventually want to stock my tank. After a lot of research it seems like certain danios might be my best bet. As of now in my 36 gallon I plan on going with:
1 angel fish
1 red tail shark
1 dwarf gourami
1 blue ram (or gbr)
5 corys (thinking panda) and
6 tiger or golden zebra danios

I've been using AqAdvisor and they seem to all get along/have proper filtration. I'm just unsure what I want to do with the schooling fish. Was just looking for some suggestions.

Danios are an option, but I wouldn't try it with such a small school. They tend to have a lot of energy to burn off and will pick on their tankmates if there's not enough of their own school to chase. If you go with Danios I'd stick to 8-10+ to ensure they don't try to nip at the Angel and Gourami.

Also, if your tank is only 36g I'd avoid the shark. They're fiercely territorial when adult and total brats to their tankmates when kept in community tanks smaller than 50-75g. They need their own corner of their tank to be grumpy old hermits in and shoo the other bottom dwellers off their "lawn" ;) The cories and ram would be get picked on to death in such a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom