Sea Salt in place of aquarium salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering if I could use just plain sea salt, no iodine in place of aquarium salt? One of my platys has some symptoms of fin rot. I am treating him with melafix and water changes but I figured adding some salt wont hurt since all my fish are brackish. My platy has been pretty inactive for about 3 days but he is still alive which I am so happy about. Do you think the salt will help him?

Also, how do I go about introducing salt into the aquarium, and how do I remove it once treatment is over?

I'm not sure but I'd want to say no. If you get aquarium salt to introduce it I believe there are instruction on the package but forgive me if I'm wrong it's been awhile, I think you dissolve a teaspoon per ever 5g and swap the water out from the tank with the salted water during a PWC

Plain sea salt (like canning)from the supermarket is fine as long as its got no additives. It's exactly the same thing as fresh water treatment salt from the LFS except way cheaper.

Mine says it has an anti caking agent along with the natural sea salt. Can I still use it?

No, the anti caking agent is what you want to avoid. I use Morton's canning salt, it's way cheaper than aquarium salt.

Plain sea salt (like canning)from the supermarket is fine as long as its got no additives. It's exactly the same thing as fresh water treatment salt from the LFS except way cheaper.

I had no clue about that, I'll have to keep this in mind in case I ever need some.

Back
Top Bottom