Seachem buffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingKoopa512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should i be using seachem alkaline buffer i think me using the discus buffer brought me algae on plants any help bba espeacially

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Have you tested ph and gh / kh? Also phosphate? Just curious on why you are adding buffers as interesting question.

High phosphates by themselves from a buffer may not cause issues as plants need some phosphate anyways. But too high may cause other issues. Ime for my tank I do find better results avoiding phosphate based buffers now.

Pretty interesting question and would love to hear from others. I've had phosphate up to 5 or 10ppm with no issues.

Last edited:
Its jus what i read on the web an ph is 6.3 an have nothing to test the kh

For my tank, BBA generally takes off under high light (or light too high for the co2 / ferts dosing) which I believe creates an imbalance. Cutting light back to 6 hrs, getting BBA under control and then working lighting period back up is worth a try.

Except for very high phosphate past test kit limits, the phosphate level has made no difference in BBA growth for me.

Just make a single change, then check so you can see which works.

Instead of adding a buffer which makes a quick change plants have to adjust to, you could try adding crushed coral or a cuttlebone - this will help lift ph in a more gradual fashion.

Im using the discus buffee to lower my tap is 7.8 an i keep apistos

I've never kept those fish so can't comment there.

In theory you would then need seachem acid buffer to lower ph / kh of your tap water. The amount needed would depend on your kh (carbonate hardness) reading.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/AcidBuffer.html

However are you getting good plant growth and how long are lights on at the moment? Also are you using ferts or liquid co2?

Lights are on 12 to 6 im using the seachem flourish line
Sechem flourite substrate

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting good growth but after new growth the bba starts on a couple plants and driftwood

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the lower plant leaves ok? No holes in them?

Have you used liquid carbon before with these fish? Normal dosing will often control BBA while spot dosing with it or hydrogen peroxide can also be done.

I tend to spot treat ornaments with the hydrogen peroxide (test on one nearby plant first before doing the lot as it will melt some plants) and pull off BBA covered leaves (which tend to be older leaves for me).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom