Seachem Cichlid trace and scaleless fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NATFT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to add these trace elements to my tank for my dwarf Cichlids. I also have some other fish like Tetras, Corys and a Pleco.
Will this product affect these other fish?
Peace

As far as I know, those mineral supplements really are only needed in African cichlid tanks. Since they come from areas with high hardness and pH, people add minerals to simulate their native conditions. However, dwarf cichlids like rams and apistos come from areas with low hardness and pH, so adding those trace elements would probably not help anything. In fact, it would probably make the tank's water less like the native conditions of the fish.

Ok thanks heaps.
Would there be any other element type extras I should be adding to my tank? On my water changes I use :
salt ( to get my hardens upto 80, I have super soft tap water)
Prime, stress coat and some ferts
I use a little bit of pH down but am trying to control that nuturaly with driftwood and peat in my filter media.
Any sugestions?

Ok thanks heaps.
Would there be any other element type extras I should be adding to my tank? On my water changes I use :
salt ( to get my hardens upto 80, I have super soft tap water)
Prime, stress coat and some ferts
I use a little bit of pH down but am trying to control that nuturaly with driftwood and peat in my filter media.
Any sugestions?

Salt is really not needed in a FW tank unless treating ich. If you are dealing with super soft water, I would use something like seachem equillibrium or GLA's GH booster. Also, pH down products usually cause more harm than good, as they wear off and cause a swing - much more harmful than a higher but steady pH. What is your pH at without the pH down?

7.4 out of the tap. Lowering to 7
I would also like to set up another tank just for the Apisto's and believe I need it even lower than 7.0
??

Back
Top Bottom