Seachem....how many fish to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I'm doing a Seachem Stability cycle. How many fish do I add to the tank.? I am at day 4, I am thinking of adding Guppies, but I'm not how many. My tank is 220ltr.
Obviously, the hardier the fish the better.
Thanks

Buy danios they are really hardy they will live in any water but why not just test your water before putting the fish in.

Hi, thanks for your responses, i will test the water, this morning i put in another filter which is seeded, the one in there came with the tank and they told me it had been in there for ages, it hasn't helped with the cycling, so i added the other one. I will check it in the morning. I thought with Stability that it was safe to add fish, as long as i continued the treatment for the 7 days, or that was what i was told. I tested the water yesterday and got 0 on everything, hopefully the added filter will help. I went through some old posts regarding stability and apparently you should have fish in the tank, I thought it was a fishless cycle thing, so thanks for the link, I will give that a good read.

Great link Mebbid, i have done a lot of what it says, filter media etc, plus the added filter from established tank, plants and low lighting, i will test everything tomorrow and see how i go. I have 10 guppies to pick up tomorrow and the tank is 220 ltrs, i'm one or two over but they can go into my established tank for a few weeks. Thanks again

Tank Cycling

Hi, I'm doing a Seachem Stability cycle. How many fish do I add to the tank.? I am at day 4, I am thinking of adding Guppies, but I'm not how many. My tank is 220ltr.
Obviously, the hardier the fish the better.
Thanks

Hello ant...

Don't rely on the commercial product to maintain safe water conditions during cycling. A 55 gallon tank will need a minimum of 20 small fish to begin to get a steady source of ammonia going. Guppies, especially females are a good choice. If you use females and do a good job of keeping track of the water chemistry, you'll have fry toward the end of the cycle.

Even using the commercial product, you'll need to have a water testing kit handy to test the water for traces of ammonia and nitrite and test every day. When you have a positive test, you'll need to remove 25 percent of the tank water and replace that with pure, treated tap water. When several daily tests, show no trace of the above toxins, the tank is cycled.

B

Hi BB,
thanks for your input. Would you believe the heater in the tank has had a fit and keeps turning on, so the water is too warm. I am waiting for a new heater to arrive, then I will go and get the 20 Guppies. I have been testing the water and everything is 0. I have added another seeded filter and put some of the water from my cycled tank into it. Hopefully that will help in pushing it along a bit, I will just put some food into the tank to try and help it a bit until I get the Guppies. Best wishes

Hi BB,
thanks for your input. Would you believe the heater in the tank has had a fit and keeps turning on, so the water is too warm. I am waiting for a new heater to arrive, then I will go and get the 20 Guppies. I have been testing the water and everything is 0. I have added another seeded filter and put some of the water from my cycled tank into it. Hopefully that will help in pushing it along a bit, I will just put some food into the tank to try and help it a bit until I get the Guppies. Best wishes

I would stick with 10 rather than 20. There is no need to try to overdo it causing more work for you with water changes and a greater chance of problems from your fish.

Thanks Mebbid, you are probably right, do the daily water change would be a bit much and I don't want to lose any fish.

Back
Top Bottom