Seaclone 100 protein skimmer rattle???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i have replaced my coralife mini 115 internal skimmer for the Seaclone 100 skimmer because the internal skimmer is taking up the limited space in my 29gal tank (not a biocube). When i turned it on after following the installation instruction i noticed that the powerhead that pumps the water into the skimmer body makes vibrational sounds. is this normal? it's like a rattling sound and very unpleasing to say the least. can someone chime in on this issue?

this being my first "big" skimmer and what-nots, does anyone have a problem with leaking issue with this particular skimmer or any other HOB skimmer in general? i don't feel confident in the o-rings and the connections between the J-tube. some users have silicon the joints but i would like to know if i'm been paranoid and if i can avoid doing any modification to the skimmer

Wow, didn't even know those were still on the market - they are a poor quality skimmer in general. If you have the option, I'd take it back and buy something decent. That said, they leak, so you are correct in not having much confidence. Ajusting the skimming is difficult at best, but they can be dialed in and they do an ok, but not great job of skimming. Generally the Powerhead is the best part of the whole skimmer. Do you have the suction cups set up correctly? It shouldn't vibrate once everything is in place.

Speaking from experience here, I highly recommend NOT replacing it with a Coralife skimmer. :/

Wow, didn't even know those were still on the market - they are a poor quality skimmer in general. If you have the option, I'd take it back and buy something decent. That said, they leak, so you are correct in not having much confidence. Ajusting the skimming is difficult at best, but they can be dialed in and they do an ok, but not great job of skimming. Generally the Powerhead is the best part of the whole skimmer. Do you have the suction cups set up correctly? It shouldn't vibrate once everything is in place.

lol, it's still in the market alright. they periodically stock the item in Petsmart, where i got it from. i have a $100GC from them and that's why i got it.

Neither one of them is a great skimmer, both brands are ok at best. The impeller in the coralifes, at least in the superskimmer is better than the seaclone in general, but in both cases you are a better to save your money and buy a better skimmer overall.

Neither one of them is a great skimmer, both brands are ok at best. The impeller in the coralifes, at least in the superskimmer is better than the seaclone in general, but in both cases you are a better to save your money and buy a better skimmer overall.

well, the coralife was purchased long time ago as my first skimmer since i don't have a sump or what not and i can't return it. the Seaclone is the only thing offered by Petsmart and i used it with my GC, so it actually only costed me $10, can't beat that price. but the original intention of this thread is to discuss whether the rattle sound is normal and if there's a way to overcome the "potential" of leaking in the J-Tube joint. what was your experience with the Seaclone?

I would say the rattle sound isn't normal - double check and make sure the connections are all tight and your suction cups are working. The tubs leak - if not initially, then within about 6 months to a year they start to fail. My experience with them was limited to about two years with several different seaclone skimmers; I siliconed, I replaced impellers, I replaced powerheads, seals and cups. Finally, I gave up, threw them all away and went out and bought a good skimmer. Haven't looked back since.

I just meant if you do decide to switch skimmers, don't replace it with another Coralife. I had a CSS 125 on a 50 gallon until it broke for no reason during routine maintenance... not that I was at all happy with the performance beforehand. I can see now how my earlier comment didn't really make sense.

Back
Top Bottom