seaweed sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone here use seeweed sheets? How long are you supposed to leave them in the tank for? It says to take it out after 2 hours, but is it ok to leave it in there until it is gone?

Thanks

if you leave it til it's gone, its likely most of it is going to simply rot, and turn into nitrates. in other words if you don't remove the un-eaten portion in 2 hours, its the same as overfeeding the tank.

I always leave mine in the tank (what the tang doesn't finish my snails and shrimp manage to get to). It never lasts that long and from what I've heard it is very slow to decay? Can anyone confirm this? I thought the whole point of the nori clip was to allow the grazing fish to eat over an extended period of time?

I normally clip in a 2"x5" piece of Nori folded in half.

I feed nori sheets that are sold at online health food stores. The sheets come in 8X11" sizes. I usually tear them in half. Then I take a half and fold it 4 times before I clip it to the tank. I never removed uneaten parts as there is never anything left after a few hours. What does not get eaten finds its way into the corners of the tank I cant get to. The net effect on the tank is fairly low. Start by feeding half a sheet and see what happens. If you have alot left then cut that in half and see how much is left until you find a good amount to feed daily or every other day.

All of my tank inhabitants eat the nori. Tangs, clowns, dwarf angels, damsels, gobies.

I leave mine in as well. I only feed a 1/4 sheet and it never lasts. I have a large turbo snail that usually gets up there and steals from the tang.

My clown and damsel eat off it too.

The little bit in the clip really stinks when I remove it to add another though.

I guess you could take it out, let it dry, and use it again next time. I leave mine as well. I got 60 plus snails to take care of all left over food. :)

as everyone said above..i leave mine in there too, but it all gets eaten by someone...good suggestion is start small and climb up...then you wont waste anything

doug

Ok thanks. Do u guys use a clip that sticks to the glass or wedge it between a rock?
I was just wondering b/c i stick it to the glass and the hermits cant get to it, should i wedge it betwwen a rock?

Ya I wouldn't worry about leftover nori too much. My cleaning crew and urchins love to clean it up.
I just wish they would quit stealing the darn clip too. :roll:

Attachments

• thief_117.jpg
    thief_117.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 217
I used to use those clips with suction cups but I found they wore out way to soon so I invested in a set of magclips and I must say they are awsome. More info can be found in the reviews area.

They look great, one day I will get around to ordering them.
Would be nice if they made them for PH's too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom