Second filter? Yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicktrubilla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received a Marina Slimfilter S15 from a coworker. After disassembling it and cleaning and sterilizing it thoroughly, it's ready to go on my tank. I have a 20g tall, with 9 neon tetra, 1 clown pleco, a dwarf gourami, and 4 cory cats. (I may find a new home for the gourami because he is really aggressive.) My current filtration is a Topfin 20, and it does the job adequately. I don't need the extra filter, but it never hurts. But I'd have to open up the rest of the back tank lid (the little plastic cut outs that allow for filters) and the filter itself would dip down the middle of the tank and wouldn't necessarily be pleasing to the eye. I am a very indecisive person. What do you guys think?

You're lightly stocked, so you don't really need it yet, but extra filtration never hurts. If the other filter dies or you need to set up a QT tank, you will have a seeded filter ready to go.

its fine. its always a good Idea to have some extra filters, imo. in the past I had 5 extra filters.

i have a 25 gallon tank that has baby fry in it. I will eventually be getting rid of them to friends. Right now I am running two filters on the tank, one reason is to give it ample filtration and secondly, two get a filter set up with good bacteria for the other tank I will be setting up soon. That way I will already have half of a tank cycle ready to go. My Honey and Dwarf Gouramis will be going into the 25 when the fry are gone. So in answering your ? depending on the results your after, two filters are ok to use.

More filtration never hurts; I'm not sure all the work required to install it would be worth it for a Marina 15S though; if you're going to add another filter an Aquaclear 30 might be a better choice (or upgrade to an AC 50 and remove your current one all together).

Back
Top Bottom