Seiryu rock in fresh water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I added a Seiryu rock to my aquarium. I had boiled the rock first for 20 minutes, then when cool added it to my aquarium. About three days later I thought I was seeing a little bit of foam at least different bubbling at the top of the water. So then I did some research on the stone and realized it was metamorphic. I checked this with my API nitrate number one bottle and indeed it was. So I removed it for my tank, checked my pH which was at 7.8. That is not uncommon for my tank it varies between 7.4 and 7.8 anyway. So I checked the GH which was at five drops, and the KH which was at three drops. So everything was stable. My concern is just how much will a 10.5 pound rock effect the water chemistry in my 55 gal tank? Anyone out there with experience with this rock type?

This rock can indeed raise the hardness, but that size in a 55G should not be too much for concern. You can keep watch and unless you need the water soft, and your stated tank pH numbers do not seem to indicate that as a NEED, you can just monitor to make sure it is fine. The routine weekly water changes should help you keep it normal.

More so if you do a good number of tank top offs due to evaporation (with tap water), it would likely cause more trouble for you. In case that is necessary / many top offs of water, then you could begin using RO water for topping it off.

The tap water top offs can increase the TDS. Because you add more water and minerals than remove in a routine pwc. Evaporation leaves the minerals /solids behind.

Back
Top Bottom