Senegal bicher vs. eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I have as much info about these as y'all have?

Fire eel
Peacock eel
Tire track eel

(Preferably )

Fire Eels and Tire Track Eels get huge. I would say 150+ for adults. I currently have a Fire Eel in a 225 and one thing Eels are notoriously known for is being super picky. At first mine would only take LIVE ghost shrimp, then frozen shrimp, and now he eats blood worms and beef heart. (Thank god) but I also own a Bichir. They are much more aggressive and the smallest tank they can be in is a 40 Breeder. They will take sinking carnivore pellets and almost any meaty. They are very easy to care for but will try to eat anything that they can fit in their mouth. And a 12 inch Bichir has a pretty big mouth, so no small fish. If you any other questions ask me because I know a lot about these fish. Eels can get 30+ and Bichirs 12 inches but mine seems to be done growing at 8.

Oh I forgot if you're set on getting an Eel Peacocks are one of the smaller species. But be prepared to invest a lot of money food trying to figure out what foods your eel likes and what he doesn't but hopefully you wont get a picky one.

I had a 6 inch peacock eel. Very cool but it was a night owl. I fed shrimp pellets and housed it in a 29 gallon. IMO, it was too small of a tank.

Peacock eels are gorgeous but they burrow, and kick up substrate and are nocturnal, don't expect to see them during the day, and don't even try to fead it with the lights on.

Last edited:
You guys are spot on. I only feed my Fire Eel at night because the second the lights turn off he comes out of his cave. Also for an Eel having a pipe like cave is recommended and a sand or soft gravel substrate so when they're burrowing they don't get cut up. A thick layer should also be provided and if live plants are in the tank they can become uprooted.

Fire Eels are known for their amazing adult colors, Tire Tracks for their personalities (very friendly once used to their owner), and Peacocks seem to burrow a lot more and can be kept in smaller tanks. I wouldn't recommend Eels with aggressive fish but Bichirs can be fine with cichlids and other aggressive fish.

Fire Eels and Tire Track Eels get huge. I would say 150+ for adults. I currently have a Fire Eel in a 225 and one thing Eels are notoriously known for is being super picky. At first mine would only take LIVE ghost shrimp, then frozen shrimp, and now he eats blood worms and beef heart. (Thank god) but I also own a Bichir. They are much more aggressive and the smallest tank they can be in is a 40 Breeder. They will take sinking carnivore pellets and almost any meaty. They are very easy to care for but will try to eat anything that they can fit in their mouth. And a 12 inch Bichir has a pretty big mouth, so no small fish. If you any other questions ask me because I know a lot about these fish. Eels can get 30+ and Bichirs 12 inches but mine seems to be done growing at 8.

Thx anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom