Senegal Bichir no bueno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't been on here in a long time everything has been going well except today. I got home and decided to take a look at my fish who are temporarily in another room, so i haven't really been looked at them everyday they are normally in my bedroom. Anyway, my oldest senegal bichir, a little more than a year old, has gotten really swollen. My first thought was that he gobbled up some of the pebbles at the bottom of his tank, but closer inspection it looks as though he has dropsy?
In any case he is about 7inches long and his body is twice as thick as his head. His scales look really spread out. He is also just laying at the bottom of his tank and I watched for a good 10 minutes and he didn't swim up to get air. I can see his gills are working really hard, and he looks like he is having a hard time swimming. I put in a few sinking pellets and he reacted to that, but didn't move much to get them. Is it possible he has dropsy? any other ideas... or treatment advice

Back
Top Bottom