Senegal (DINOSAUR) Bichir!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone have one??? How are this guys???

I had one. They are aggeresive little guys. My poor gold fish suffered head bites because of mine. We had to return it because of the injuries it caused to it. Lucklily, my oranda healed and its happy now. :) I don't recommend this fish for anyone who wants a peaceful aquarium. (Me) they do look cool though.

I just saw this for the first time in Petsmart tonight. Super cool!

Actually the photo that was posted looks more like a delhezi due to the black on its back.

As mentioned senegals are not for a peaceful community aquarium and will eat anything that can fit into their mouth.

Needs a big tank, prob about 80 gal or more for an adult fish. If I remember correctly the adult size is around 16 inches.

Senegal Bichirs or what petsmart calls dinosaur bichirs or whatever get around 12" max and eat almost anything. They have very poor sight (almost blind) and have a very good sense of smell. I have never had an aggressive one at all..very peaceful but they can eat smaller fish. I would say they need at least a 40 gallon tank, preferably a breeder..or a 55+ is fine. They grow very slow so keep that in mind too. Anything else you are wondering about, lemme know!

And yes, that photo isn't a senegal either..

Can you post a pic of yours?

Did they really try to scape from the tank? Haha

I just saw this for the first time in Petsmart tonight. Super cool!

These fish are sold at my petsmart and are very interesting. However they will eat smaller fish and there is even a YouTube video with one of them eating a crawfish

i have one in a 55 gallon tank and when everyone says that they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, its not an exaggeration. I love mine, however i will say that its hard to know if anything else is getting any food because it seems to eat non-stop.

All the research I've done into them says that in captivity, 12" is to be expected but not much larger, so a 55 is probably the smallest non-breeder tank possible. As for escaping, I personally have not experienced it however when something disturbs or irritates him he does shoot up and down the tank. Never jumping just using the entirety of the space given to him, however i wouldn't take a chance with any eel shaped fish because they need very little space to escape

I had a young pair in a 40 breeder. They are very aggressive, I would keep them species only. Need meaty foods like beef heart. Wonderful personalities though.

I'm going to disagree with the above comment, everything I've read says that without a large, large tank they do not get along when they mature. Fine while juveniles but not as adults

I'm going to disagree with the above comment, everything I've read says that without a large, large tank they do not get along when they mature. Fine while juveniles but not as adults

They were young, which is why I stated "young" about 3" :)

I have had 2 and aren't aggresive at all, I have also seen lots of videos too that show them just hanging out with tons of other bichirs. I never have had one be aggresive to another fish or anything..and nothing is aggresive to them.

Back
Top Bottom