Seperating friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlburns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently I got a fancy guppy and it's a lot smaller than the other fish, but one day I came home and noticed part of his tail was gone. I removed him from the tank not knowing what to do and finally decided I had to find the guilty fish. I put him back in and noticed my Platy showing aggressive behavior towards him. I did a water change and checked all the levels and everything was fine. The Platy was still showing aggression but the other fish started defending the guppy so I assumed everything was fine. (this was about 3-4 weeks ago) yesterday I came home and more of his tail was gone so I removed the Platy and decided I needed to just rehome him. But today when I came home from work my Swordtail wouldn't leave the Platys side. He followed him everywhere and I kinda feel bad for wanting to get rid of his friend. What should I do?

It sounds like you have a choice to make. The platy or the guppy. I have had aggression with a molly before. He had 2 large gold gourami's hiding in the corner all day. I rearranged the tank and that helped a bit but after a short time, he was right back at it. I also scooped the aggressor in a big net and kept him there for a day or two, didn't help. Even completely removed for a week and reintroduced, nothing. I had to get rid of it. Unfortunately for him, no one wanted an aggressive molly. :(

Back
Top Bottom