serious question about nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of people on here judge with no actually evidence and like to say this is the cause just so they seem clever!
I have posted a few threads and people just pick at your habits ! Very unfair...
Sometimes just think in your head , Well I always fed that way and have never had a problem with it. So that is not the cause , try to be open minded though not everyone is out to get you!

Back to the actual thread which I hope I can learn something new and try to advise others.

I Also always give my fish frozen bloodworm straight from the freezer but after reading this information I am going to ask a few people if this is harmful and they receive less nutrients that way. It is does seem to make sense as its like pulling a Ice - Cream out of the freezer and eating it all in the winter!

Hopefully this can help our fish to have a more nutritional diet! Anything for the fish!

Nitrates are not as dangerous as Ammonia , Nitrite!
If your Nitrate is high just try to do some more water changes and reduce feeding for a week and see if there is any difference though! But it is certainly not killer though!

Thanks For Reading What I Wrote!

Aston.

That sounds cool. Id prefer to get some sort of media that goes in the filters to reduce it. Or maybe plants are the way to go. Thanks for the info though I will look into that stuff.

Purgen / Matrix does go in the filter (it goes in a Mesh Filter bag)

I put them right after the Filter media in my Penguin's 350

I've used Purigen when my nitrates were as high as yours, I worked for months on getting them down with little success. Once I got them down to around 80ppm that's when I decided to go with Purigen, eventually it helped me get it down 40ppm with plants being the final blow.

Never used chemicals...just did water changes, back to back, until NitrAtes were well below 40 and then did water changes daily or as the test will warrant.

Pton46 said:
Purgen / Matrix does go in the filter (it goes in a Mesh Filter bag)

I put them right after the Filter media in my Penguin's 350

That's what im looking for. I am going to the fish store today to look at that stuff I have plenty of filer room to put it in. Thanks for the advice.

Fishy Aston said:
A lot of people on here judge with no actually evidence and like to say this is the cause just so they seem clever!
I have posted a few threads and people just pick at your habits ! Very unfair...
Sometimes just think in your head , Well I always fed that way and have never had a problem with it. So that is not the cause , try to be open minded though not everyone is out to get you!

Back to the actual thread which I hope I can learn something new and try to advise others.

I Also always give my fish frozen bloodworm straight from the freezer but after reading this information I am going to ask a few people if this is harmful and they receive less nutrients that way. It is does seem to make sense as its like pulling a Ice - Cream out of the freezer and eating it all in the winter!

Hopefully this can help our fish to have a more nutritional diet! Anything for the fish!

Nitrates are not as dangerous as Ammonia , Nitrite!
If your Nitrate is high just try to do some more water changes and reduce feeding for a week and see if there is any difference though! But it is certainly not killer though!

Thanks For Reading What I Wrote!

Aston.

You know I hear yah. I see the same thing on other threads I have searched for anything that said it's better to defrost and all I come up with is its better on their stomachs. Anyway today I defrosted 2 cubes of brine shrimp (in my opinion the messiest) and the small amount of water I defrosted it in was extremely clear. Im tempted to run a test on filtered water and then water that's defrosted food. I bet levels will be slightly different. Anyway I take things with a grain of salt when people don't back it with evidence. Thanks for support.

Back
Top Bottom