Serpae Tetra Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevoPast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I just noticed this morning that one of my 7 Serpae Tetras has a purple spot near the back of it's tail, just before the fins, that almost looks like a bruise. It also looks slightly swollen. His/her swimming and behaviour patterns don't seem to have changed, and all other fish in the tank look healthy and happy. However, this does seem out of the ordinary.

I do know that the Serpaes really chase each other around. They'll all be schooling happily one minute, then have a little squabble and return to schooling. No other fish in the tank are bullies. I have two Bolivian Rams that will occasionally guard their current spot, but that's never more than a lack luster swim towards the encroaching fish.

Any idea what it might be? Could it just be an injury that needs some time to heal? Or is that indicative of a coming disease?

I appreciate your help and expertise!

I have a dozen serpae in my 55, and they frequently get bruises from their "little squabbles," we battled some columnaris that I think they also got from their squabbles which opened a sore or two in their mouths.
Anyway, if it's just a bruise, I wouldn't worry about it.
Keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom