Serratia marcescens in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
It was PWC/cleaning day here and when I got to my 10 gal in the kitchen I noticed two things, the first being a little bit of diatoms on the front glass, which is odd in itself because I haven't seen them in almost two years in this tank which is three just about years old. The second what a red growth on one of my air tubes. I pointed this out to my husband and his response was "That looks exactly like the stuff that used to grow in my shower before you and I started dating." My response "Thanks for cleaning for me." Now I know the red growth in bathrooms is probably just Serratia marcescens, so I am wondering if the stuff on the tube is the same. I am going to take the tube into my micro lab tomorrow to plate some out and see what I get.

I wondering what the source for all this growth could be? This is an established tank which has been running for years. Could it be something from a PWC?

Off to research and see if Serratia marcescens will harm the things living in the tank. :blink: :ermm:

Yup it's prob serratia and it's probably the reason one of my ADFs passed. I am worried about where it came from because it's a coliform bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom