Set upadvice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolahuds

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, i have a second hand tank so am not sure of make but here is a break down of what i know:
Tank measures 80x35x45cm, it has a twin light hood with (FX18 - 24 600mm classica ocean moonlight & FX18-24 600mm natural daylight lamp)
i have a Fluval 205 external canister (in the basket i have a biofoam in the bottom, amonia / carbon remover in the middle & tetratec ceramic filter rings in the top)
My heater is a visitherm 200w.
Inside the tank i have 7kg flourite black sand, pebbles and 2 pieces of driftwood.
My tank has been running for 3 days

My questions are:

1)Advice on cycling my tank

2) i am looking at having a planted tank (low tech) to start with id like easier plants so that i can build as i get more experience, any tips and suggestions on which type would be much appreciated.

3) Do i need an air stone?

4)should i add anymore substrate or could i add some fine gravel to add some more contrast.

5)Advice on a test kit and what i should be testing/looking for

and lastly any suggestions on fish

Sorry for all the questions but i would rather ask lots and get it right then struggle and get it wrong.

Attachments

• fish tank day 3.jpg
    fish tank day 3.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 88
Hi and welcome! My replies below in blue...

Hi there, i have a second hand tank so am not sure of make but here is a break down of what i know:
Tank measures 80x35x45cm, it has a twin light hood with (FX18 - 24 600mm classica ocean moonlight & FX18-24 600mm natural daylight lamp)
i have a Fluval 205 external canister (in the basket i have a biofoam in the bottom, amonia / carbon remover in the middle & tetratec ceramic filter rings in the top)
My heater is a visitherm 200w.
Inside the tank i have 7kg flourite black sand, pebbles and 2 pieces of driftwood.
My tank has been running for 3 days

My questions are:

1)Advice on cycling my tank
You'll have to decide on whether to cycle with fish or to cycle fishless. Here's a guide that explains both with other info as well: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

2) i am looking at having a planted tank (low tech) to start with id like easier plants so that i can build as i get more experience, any tips and suggestions on which type would be much appreciated. Most low-light plants can be good to start with and most should be able to grow with the lights that come with the tank. Some common ones are anubias, java fern, java moss. There are others. Here's a list: Excellent List Of Plants For Low Light Tanks - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

3) Do i need an air stone? No, you don't need one. If you like the look of them then by all means get one. The water flow from most filters provides enough aeration in the tank provided the surface is broken a bit by the water that comes out of the filter return.

4)should i add anymore substrate or could i add some fine gravel to add some more contrast. You could add more, sure. You have about 15 lbs in a 30 gal tank. I think the "suggested" amount is 2 lbs per gallon. If you want to keep bottom feeders like corys or fish that like to sift into the substrate like loaches you might want to go with sand instead.

5)Advice on a test kit and what i should be testing/looking for API Master liquid kit. The test strips are cheaper but inaccurate and will cost you more in the long-run. The guide I linked above has more info on testing.

and lastly any suggestions on fish
For a 30 gal tank you have a good amount of of options. Are there any fish you're interested in? Search online or visit local fish stores and write down fish that interest you and research them (or/and ask here and we can help too).

Sorry for all the questions but i would rather ask lots and get it right then struggle and get it wrong. No problem that's why we're here!

Last edited:
Hi Librarygirl thanks for the advice i will have a read and take a trip to my LFS and post what fish i like, i have ordered an api master kit so will post readings as i have them. I would like to give fishless cycling a go so will research more into this, would adding plants help with cycling or should i wait till everything is cycled?? Thanks again

Nope, you can add plants at any time. Plants can often help with cycling too, so feel free to have fun (it'll give you something to do while you wait for fish too) ;)

water test results

Hi guys, so my test kit came yesterday and my test results are as follows:
PH 7.6, high range ph 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm.
The water is looking rather green at the moment, i have added a recent photo :)

i will be buying some plants to go into the tank today so hopefully things will start looking good as im fed up with looking at an empty tank :(

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 65
Hi guys, so my test kit came yesterday and my test results are as follows:
PH 7.6, high range ph 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm.
The water is looking rather green at the moment, i have added a recent photo :)

i will be buying some plants to go into the tank today so hopefully things will start looking good as im fed up with looking at an empty tank :(

it can be a pain that's for sure. Have you decided on a fish less cycle?

It's looking good I really like the driftwood you have in there, can't wait to see it planted

Hi tamtam, it is a pain especially when you see all the lovely fish in the shops, i will be trying a fish less cycle although i am a little nervous but at least no fish will be harmed while i perfect my tank. The driftwood took much deliberating lol but I'm really happy with how it looks and lots of nooks to put plants on, i will post a pic when i have planted it for you to see

Hi tamtam, it is a pain especially when you see all the lovely fish in the shops, i will be trying a fish less cycle although i am a little nervous but at least no fish will be harmed while i perfect my tank. The driftwood took much deliberating lol but I'm really happy with how it looks and lots of nooks to put plants on, i will post a pic when i have planted it for you to see

Fish ins can be a big pain but they are mostly straight forward, especially with some help from this board! Fish in cycling can be done safely but it does take dedication and if you don't have the time to dedicate it can be a pain.

My current tank is fully stocked and I mourn my lack of ability to buy more fish right now every time I'm in the shop. lol

I actually picked up my drift wood at a local lake, it supplies the cities water supply, and I drove hubby nuts with it so I completely understand. There were some giant stumps with roots that were washed up on shore and it drove him nuts when I was pointing out where I wanted him to cut and not cut to give me the shape I wanted. :p lol. He's such a trooper and he did agree it was far better than the money it would cost to buy it.

Do you have any thoughts on what you want to stock it with yet?

i had a look at lfs and here is a list of the fish i liked the look of:
cherry barb, honey gourami, silver hatchet, marble hatchet, kribensis, tiger barb, leopard danio, long fin black widow tetra,long fin zebra danio, black phantom tetra, silver marble molly, apistogramma cacatuoides and lastly i saw some fire cherry shrimps (but not sure if i can have them) any advice on what would live happily together and numbers would be greatly appeciated

i had a look at lfs and here is a list of the fish i liked the look of:
cherry barb, honey gourami, silver hatchet, marble hatchet, kribensis, tiger barb, leopard danio, long fin black widow tetra,long fin zebra danio, black phantom tetra, silver marble molly, apistogramma cacatuoides and lastly i saw some fire cherry shrimps (but not sure if i can have them) any advice on what would live happily together and numbers would be greatly appeciated

That's a really nice list to choose from. From your above post I believe you have a 33 gallon tank which is a great size to start with too. I'm not overly educated on all of these fish but I do believe most will do just fine in this tank - of course not all are compatible.

I don't think you can have apistos or kribs in your tank and I would shy away from tiger barbs unless you want a species only tank. They can be real butt heads.

I would do something like maybe

6 cherry barbs
6 black phantoms
6 silver hatchets - great little fish though they are jumpers. You want to be sure you have a good hood that won't allow them to jump out.
3 marble mollies - I would suggest you go with all males or 2 f to 1 male. The males will give the females a hard time if numbers are off
and a honey gourami.

Did you notice anything other than shrimp for bottom dwellers you might like? Shrimp would probably be eaten by a good majority of the fish you listed.

This set up IMO would also allow you room for something on the bottom, like a school of dwarf cories.

That's a really nice list to choose from. From your above post I believe you have a 33 gallon tank which is a great size to start with too. I'm not overly educated on all of these fish but I do believe most will do just fine in this tank - of course not all are compatible.
I believe it holds 125litres i have about 2 inches of flourite sand / gravel

I don't think you can have apistos or kribs in your tank and I would shy away from tiger barbs unless you want a species only tank. They can be real butt heads.
i'll give them a miss then lol

I would do something like maybe

6 cherry barbs
6 black phantoms
6 silver hatchets - great little fish though they are jumpers. You want to be sure you have a good hood that won't allow them to jump out.
3 marble mollies - I would suggest you go with all males or 2 f to 1 male. The males will give the females a hard time if numbers are off
and a honey gourami.
Thanks for the input will have another look, i have a hood but there is two openings at the back for my external filter would they be ok in that or would i have to block the holes better???
Did you notice anything other than shrimp for bottom dwellers you might like? Shrimp would probably be eaten by a good majority of the fish you listed.

not really as was not sure what i could have as i have read that some can get quite big so was going to research what stayed small and would be compatable with the fish i put in

This set up IMO would also allow you room for something on the bottom, like a school of dwarf cories.
:thanks: for the advice i will have a look at the cories and try to decide on a final list

Managed to get some ammonia today so have added some to the tank and its reading 4ppm when tested, i have upgraded my lights to aqua bright 7500k & aqua blu 25000k. I have also added a bubble wall, i will post a picture soon.

Hi here are my readings could anyone tell me if this is ok as im finding it all a bit confusing (i'm fishless cycling)
11/9/12 PH 7.6, high PH 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm
14/9/12 PH 7.6, high PH 8.0, ammonia 1.00ppm, Nitrite 0.25ppm, Nitrate 5ppm (25% wc & started adding ammonia up to 4ppm, also added some pebbles)
15/9/12 PH 7.6, High Ph 8.0, Ammonia 4ppm, Nitrite 0.50ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm
17/9/12 PH 7.6, High Ph 8.0, Ammonia 1.0ppm, Nitrite 5.0ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm
From the tap my PH is 7.6 & high PH is 7.4. Hope this all makes sense

Hi here are my readings could anyone tell me if this is ok as im finding it all a bit confusing (i'm fishless cycling)
11/9/12 PH 7.6, high PH 7.4, ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm
14/9/12 PH 7.6, high PH 8.0, ammonia 1.00ppm, Nitrite 0.25ppm, Nitrate 5ppm (25% wc & started adding ammonia up to 4ppm, also added some pebbles)
15/9/12 PH 7.6, High Ph 8.0, Ammonia 4ppm, Nitrite 0.50ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm
17/9/12 PH 7.6, High Ph 8.0, Ammonia 1.0ppm, Nitrite 5.0ppm, Nitrate 5.0ppm
From the tap my PH is 7.6 & high PH is 7.4. Hope this all makes sense

could anyone advise on if eveything is ok, my ammonia seems to drop daily (i have been dosing it up to 4ppm) but am wondering if that is to do with the plants using it as food. my nitrites i think are off the chart as it looks a darker colour than is showing, should i do a wc????
19/9/12 AMMO: 1.00, Nitrite: 5, Nitrate: 5.0
20/9/12 AMMO: 2.00, Nitrite: 5, Nitrate:40
21/9/12 AMMO: 0, Nitrites:5, Nitrates:5.0

i left a tap water sample out for 24hrs and the ph is 7.6, high ph 7.4

Do you have nitrite in your tap water?

Personally I'd do a water change to get that nitrite to a readable point, around 3ppm. You are showing nitrates which is a great sign so you should be just about there.

Do you have nitrite in your tap water?
i havent checked, i will test and post the results

Personally I'd do a water change to get that nitrite to a readable point, around 3ppm. You are showing nitrates which is a great sign so you should be just about there.
Thanks tamtam was getting worried things werent moving along, should i keep adding ammonia up to 4ppm as i have read in some other posts to drop it to 2ppm and how low should i let it get before i add more?? i will do a water change tomorrow to try and get the nitrites down, how long should i leave it before testing the water again. Sorry for all the questions but im very new to all this and am worried im might muck everything up and have to start again :(

Thanks tamtam was getting worried things werent moving along, should i keep adding ammonia up to 4ppm as i have read in some other posts to drop it to 2ppm and how low should i let it get before i add more?? i will do a water change tomorrow to try and get the nitrites down, how long should i leave it before testing the water again. Sorry for all the questions but im very new to all this and am worried im might muck everything up and have to start again :(

You can probably drop it to 2ppm now, dosing to 4ppm is probably why you've got such off the chart nitrite, that ammo is being converted quickly and just building up while your cycle tries to catch up. I'd probably dose it to 2 and leave it for a day. You could probably get away with dosing every other day and won't starve your bacteria.

I'd do a nice big water change and test in an hour to see where your nitrite sits. Personally I'd try to get the nitrite down to 3 and would do another water change if needed after the first test. When it gets up this high it takes large or frequent water changes to really get it down. Once you know where it stands I'd just test it every day. to see if there is any lowering.

You also want to make sure you PH stays well too. You don't want it to drop too low or it will stall your cycle. Water changes also help with that so if you notice your ph drop to somewhere in the 6s you can do a water change and bump it back up.

Hi guys i havent been on for a bit but am after some advice on what to do next, my test results for the last few days are:

5/10 - amm 0.25, nitrite 0.50, Nitrate 15
7/10 - amm 0.25, nitrite 0, Nitrate 15
8/10 - amm 0.25, nitrite 2, Nitrate 40
9/10 - amm 0, nitrite 0, Nitrate 20 - topped ammonia up to 2ppm at 7pm last night
10/10 - amm 0.25, Nitrite 1, Nitrate 40
Im assuming that the bacteria is working as my nitrites were of the chart and there is an increase in nitrates how long do i leave it before i can start adding fish???
Thanks in advance im getting excited at the prospect of not looking at a fishless tank
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom