seting up a s/w aquarium from scratch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver moggridge

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i have just bought a 30 liter aquarium because i wanted to set up a f/w planted aquarium but while i was waiting for it to cycle i decided to have a try at s/w. all i have is the tank a small heater and a light that came with the tank so i need a new filter and probably a new light so can anyone please help me im completly new to the s/w world. heres a pic of the tank at the moment it has a filter in it that came with the tank and ill need to get new substrate. the size of the tank is W 35cm x H 35cm x D 22cm it has a sad 11W compact light so that would have to go! so any help would be much appritiated. thanks
oliver

Attachments

• 06072009513.jpg
    06072009513.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 12072009515.jpg
    12072009515.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 97
IMHO too small for a beginner. If you want to get a tank get atleast 40 gallons. 6 is going to be very very hard to maintain, their arent any fish i know of that can live in 6 gallons, and its just cheaper to get a larger tank.

ADMPhenomX4 is right starting small is very difficult. I did months of research before I started my first nano reef tank. You could do it, it is just very time consuming compared to a planted tank of similar size. There are fish that can live in a 6 gallon but you could just go with a shrimp and a crab.

Inspiration :king:
Jacob's 5.5/ Teen Reefer HQ! - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Let's talk about what he can do with this tank. It could make a very nice little zoa tank with a few shrimp even. It could house a single small fish as well. For example:

Melev's Reef - 2 gallon Pico tank

It is very true that a small tank takes a lot more effort to manage, but it is not impossible.

Oliver, I would look for a compact fluorescent fixture that packs as much light in it's housing as you can find. I have no experience with fixtures of that size, but I know that coralife makes a 13" fixture that has two 13w lamps. A little aragonite sand and a hob filter (which you may have already) and you are ready to go.

Do your research for hardy corals. I have had pretty good luck with Zoanthids. They are hearty and grow pretty fast. Take a look at some of the pics here: Zoanthids, Palys

If it were me, I would start slow and see where it goes. No fish to start. Just a couple polyps, and get things under control. Get used to the water changes and the new world of sw chemistry. Before long you will be pining for that 300 gallon tank!

awsome cheers sparky ill have a fish around the web for those items and ill get back to you thanks again.

I'm a fan of the ac filters. Be aware that there is some debate over the need or use of a hob filter in a reef tank. In theory the live rock you place in your tank will provide all the biological filtration needed. I have run my 29g reef for some time with no mechanical filter what so ever. The problem I saw with that was that there was a noticeable buildup of debris in the tank. I think some mechanical filter is needed. Keep up on the media maintenance though, there seems to be some evidence that your filter could turn into a nitrate factory if left too long. It can be a good place to run carbon as well.

If you really want to stay this small, get LR and rock rubble and use the rubble in the hob instead of the floss except to polish the water. LR will give a place for bacteria and wont become a nitrate factory.

cool ill get all the stuf and then let you know when im ready to go.
could you just write out a list of things ill need e.g chemicals, filter media, sand(whats the best size) and then ill go from there.would be much appritiated

One thing I think is important is a test kit, I use API for saltwater. RO water is recommended to keep algae down and also if you are going to keep soft corals. Sand you want to use aragonite don't use crush coral. I was lucky and found my live rock and sand from someone downsizing so I got real live rock with little star fish and other things living in it.

reverse osmosis water =ro
I buy mine since I don't have any place to put the unit. I pay about 2.50 for 5 gallons.

A refractometer does indeed measure the salinity level and is much easier and more accurate than a hydrometer.

I apologize if this comes out blunt, have you researched setting up a SW tank? Read the articles and stickies, there's a ton of good info in there to get you started.

Back
Top Bottom