seting up a s/w aquarium from scratch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, yeah. but its easier to at least have a HOB filter for Mechanical filtration. gets all the gunk out of the water

ok ill look tomorro at my lfs thanks a bunch fishmonkey.also one thing my book says that i need to check the ph and the alkalinity? ive got a test kit but i dont think it has this!

I would advise against the HOB. It will become a huge nitrate problem down the road and is more hassel than it's worth IMO. Live rock is all the filtration needed. I agree with fishmonkey, no skimmer needed.

but thom, you need SOME kind of mechanical filtration via a filter. and if you replaced the carbon with live rock rubble, it should be fine.

but thom, you need SOME kind of mechanical filtration via a filter. and if you replaced the carbon with live rock rubble, it should be fine.

No mechanical needed. The cuc (clean up crew) will eat all the waste and other things that would have been removed by mechanical filtration. Live rock in an HOB provides biological filtration and not mechanical.

ok ive not adjusted the water yet but hopefully ill do that tomorro. i added a internal filter that a had to clear the water so thats not staying in but hope you like the aquascape

Attachments

• DSCF1718.jpg
    DSCF1718.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 87
so if i had a skimmer i wouldnt have to do pwc as offtern?

Remember that the PWC`s accomplish two things. 1) They remove excessive nutrients which is what your Skimmer does too. 2) They replace trace elements that get used up and are important for fish and invert processes. I would just do frequent PWC`s to accomplish these two things in your tank.

HOB is not needed. You can fill it with live rock rubble, but you may ocasionally need to take the rubble out and rinse it in old tank water when you do your pwc. Looks great IMO. Could use a tad more live rock, but if you like it, that's all that matters.

thanks all i might get some more lr and also need to add a background wires are ugly.
i have a test kit it has
Ammonia 70 Tests
pH Wide Range 100 Tests
Calcium - Varying number of tests depending on water conditions
Phosphate 75 Tests
Iron 50 Tests
Nitrite 75 Tests
Nitrate 80 Tests
kH - Varying number of tests depending on water conditions
gH - Varying number of tests depending on water conditions

ok ive sorted out the salinity and the alkalinity is good got the background on and now its time to cycle. also ive found a hitchhicker any chance of id please?

Attachments

• DSCF1720.jpg
    DSCF1720.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF1723.jpg
    DSCF1723.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF1722.jpg
    DSCF1722.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom