Setting up a 30 gal. Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrod4UA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first aquarium ever! I got it for my boys (3 & 4 years old) for fun. While setting it up, I have started to like it more than them I think! I have a friend at work that gave me a 30 gallon to set up. I just have to get the decor and equipment to go with it. I want to make it as natural looking as possible. What is the best sand to use? What are some good beginner plants? Filter? Any and all help or ideas are appreciated!!

Attachments

• image-3005538242.jpg
    image-3005538242.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3208694665.jpg
    image-3208694665.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1652168423.jpg
    image-1652168423.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 116
Pool filter sand looks great and it's very inexpensive.

Filtration could be handled by a AquaClear 50-70.

And my thumb is not green...so wait for someone else, but promise not to ditch SpongeBob and make sure he returns!

Gotta love Sponge Bob :D.

Yep, PFS is my preferred choice to plant in and an Aqua Clear 50 is sized great for a 30g IMO/E.

As for starter plants, a lot depends on your lighting but Anacharis, Java Fern/moss, Anubias are a few to look at that your LFS should have. Below is a link to a great plant info site, just look up low light plants and see what you like compared to what you can get. If you look at plants at Petco et al, be wary of non aquatic plants they sell that will rot and foul you tank (link has info on them too).

PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

Have fun and happy planting :D.

What kind of lights are in the hood? As light levels play a role in selection, there's plenty of low level plants that will work very well.

Have you given any thoughts to what's gonna be swimming around in there?

I want to make it as natural looking as possible. What is the best sand to use?
If you want it natural looking, you may opt for something like river rocks, but if you are planting I suggest going with ecocomplete, it's a good planted tank substrate for beginners.

White sand, like most PFS or playsand, really isn't the most natural look for most fish. It also has a tendency to wash out colors on fish, while darker substrates bring the colors out. It's really cheap, though, so it is a staple in many aquariums.

I do suggest a nutrient enriched substrate though if you plan to go planted at any point. Ecocomplete and floramax are some readily available options that are simple enough to set up.

One method that people often go with also is a compromise of the two, and layering soil underneath sand, but I'd save that one for a future project.

What are some good beginner plants?
There's a ton of different low light plants that will work, but as mentioned above, it depends completely on your lighting as to what you will have success with. There are a few that work in pretty much any light, java ferns, anubias, java moss are all good. Slightly more demanding are the wisteria, hornwort, crypts, different ludwigia species, valisnera, swords, among several others.
I can't really recommend any particular filtration, I use sponge filters on most of my tanks.

Best of luck in your new tank.

Thanks for all of the input! Me and my boys will be going to the river and look for some DW this afternoon. I have read other threads and it seams to be a long process in getting DW ready.

HUKIT said:
What kind of lights are in the hood? As light levels play a role in selection, there's plenty of low level plants that will work very well.

Have you given any thoughts to what's gonna be swimming around in there?

I really want to get a Tea Cup Stingray. Do you, or anyone else, know anything about them?

Actually it doesn't take that long if it's real driftwood. Wood that has been in a creek or river has already released most, if not all of its tannins, so you don't have to presoak it to remove them, if needed.

It is definitely recommended to dry it out really well, rinse it, and/or boil pieces to kill any possible stowaways.

Back
Top Bottom