Setting up my tank, fish compatibility advice wanted :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xeerar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I've decided to get into the aquarium hobby. We used to have a tank when I was very small, about 7 years old. Unfortunately, my parents had no clue what they were doing and we basically ended up restocking that tank every month. Coming to think of it now, with all the research I've been doing, I can clearly see where my parents went wrong. However, I did create some sort of facination with aquariums an fish.

A friend of mine where in a pet shop a few months ago and walking through the fish section and we both decided to set up an aquarium of our own.

Now several months later we both have chosen our tanks and I have had mine set up and filled for about a week now. I have a Juwel Rio 125 (somewhere between 30 and 35 gallons I think, not sure as I am in europe and normally do liters :p) so nothing too large and I want to turn in into a small community tank with some smaller sized community fish.

I've done some research and also spoke to a friend who has had her own tank for quite some time and knows a thing or two already. She also helped me set mine up.

So now I'm slowly starting to think about which fish to put in.

I have my heart set on rummynose tetras, and possibly marble or silver mollies.

I'll get some corydoras (my preference goes out to albino) and perhaps a pleco.

Swordtails are also cool, but i'm not too fussed if they aren't an option.

But I was looking for a kind of "statement fish" for my tank. I was thinking of a male Betta at first, but honestly, I'm not completely sold on them.

However, I would LOVE a pearl gourami. So I guess my question is, can I keep pearl gourami in my tank and do they get allong with the fish I previously stated? Also, for my rather smallish tank, would I able to keep multiple and if not, can they be kept singly?

Thanks for you help :) Looking forward to slowly seeing my tank expand :)

yes you could do a pearl gourami. they have become one of my favorite gouramis. every gourami is different in temperament but ive found the pearls to be the most peaceful of gouramis. i now have 3 pearl gouramis in with 2 skunk loach and 15 neon tetras. also kept them with 6 black neon tetras without issue.

yes you could do a pearl gourami. they have become one of my favorite gouramis. every gourami is different in temperament but ive found the pearls to be the most peaceful of gouramis. i now have 3 pearl gouramis in with 2 skunk loach and 15 neon tetras. also kept them with 6 black neon tetras without issue.

Thanks for your advice :)

So I could do a single one (male) and that is not an issue?

Yes, they are pretty great gouramis. They are my favourite gourami to be honest (although the honey gourami is very pretty too) and it just so helps that they are the most peaceful as well, just my luck :D

It seems then, they do well with little schooling fish. Great!

Thanks for your advice :)

So I could do a single one (male) and that is not an issue?

Yes, they are pretty great gouramis. They are my favourite gourami to be honest (although the honey gourami is very pretty too) and it just so helps that they are the most peaceful as well, just my luck :D

It seems then, they do well with little schooling fish. Great!

Yep he will be just fine. One tip with pearls. They look best and seem happier when kept in dimly lit tanks. Their colors won't look washed out like they can in a bright tank.

Yep he will be just fine. One tip with pearls. They look best and seem happier when kept in dimly lit tanks. Their colors won't look washed out like they can in a bright tank.

That's a great tip, I guess I can add some floating plants for more shadow. I also have a corner with some larger plants creating some more shadowy places.

IMO, you should have at least a couple of Pearl Gouramis. They are much happier in groups and they are peaceful. I have six of them and never a problem. I'm not fond of the "centerpiece fish" concept. Most all fish are happier in groups.

IMO, you should have at least a couple of Pearl Gouramis. They are much happier in groups and they are peaceful. I have six of them and never a problem. I'm not fond of the "centerpiece fish" concept. Most all fish are happier in groups.

I will thumbs up this. They really should be in groups like most fish. I recently added my old pearl in with another 2 young pearls and he seems to be a bit more active and social.

Back
Top Bottom