Seven Platys dead in last 16 hours.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had 7 platys and two sucker fish in an established 29 gallon tank for 7 months. We moved recently and kept all the decor and some of the water, adding some new water also at the new place and treating it with a conditioner the way I always do with weekly water changes. The fish were moved 4 days ago and seemed to be doing well. Yesterday I noticed one fish was slightly bloated so I bought frozen peas, boiled them and gave three shelled peas to the fish to nibble on for constipation. For their second meal of the day they got freeze dried bloodworms, which they eat often, just this time soaked in fresh garlic juice. I minced the garlic myself. I actually tried to give them minced garlic directly but took it out due to lack of interest. The fish have never had garlic before, but many posters on this forum rexommended it in case of parasites. My platys always have two small meals per day. I removed the excess peas after 10 minutes or so. This morning when I woke up one platy had jumped out of the tank, and the rest were swimming unusually fast, gulping for air, or lethargic at the bottom of the tank. I did a 20% water change and added a half capful of SeaChem Prime, and tested the water to find that levels were pH 7.2-6, ammonia 1ppm, nitrite and nitrate both 0. The platys were all dead by the end of the day, with no visible signs of poor health. Sucker fish are acting normal. Did garlic kill my fish? Should I do anything to keep my suckers healthy? I have been feeling very guilty and depressed all day for giving them garlic, since it looks like the garlic killed my fish.

Garlic DID NOT kill your fish. The ammonia did. ANY ammonia whatsoever is bad, but 1pm of ammonia will kill all of your fish. If you want to save your remaining fish i would do waterchanges, and alot of them. Make sure that ammo is 0!

Garlic has medicinal properties that are used not only for humans but for fish. Garlic also entices finicky eaters.

Ok then what caused an ammonia spike? Looks like the garlic did. Everything else done was the same. And why bloating? Pls help, looking for answers!

FishieMom said:
Ok then what caused an ammonia spike? Looks like the garlic did. Everything else done was the same. And why bloating? Pls help, looking for answers!

You probably lost a good part of your bacterial colonies during the move. Your fish are producing the ammonia. You'll have to cycle your tank all over again. Do lots of water changes and make sure your testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate regularly (I test once or twice a day when I'm cycling a tank).

The fact that you are overfeeding could also have contributed. Bloodworms are a treat, to be given maybe once or twice per week, not daily.

Usually when people feed peas to their fish, they will then fast them for a day or two to let the fish pass whatever's in its system. Fish are kind of dumb in the way that they will continue to eat as long as you continue to feed them.

I feed my tanks every other day, once on that day. They get their "treat" on Sundays.

The garlic helps build their immune system. I use that once per week, too.

The fact that you are overfeeding could also have contributed. Bloodworms are a treat, to be given maybe once or twice per week, not daily.
They got fed small amounts of fish flakes (whatever they can eat in 20-30 seconds) twice a day. They'd been doing that since the beginning with no problems. Yes, bloodworms are a treat, and were a way to entice them to eat the garlic.

You probably lost a good part of your bacterial colonies during the move. Your fish are producing the ammonia. You'll have to cycle your tank all over again. Do lots of water changes and make sure your testing your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate regularly (I test once or twice a day when I'm cycling a tank).
Thanks, will do! I've been using SeaChem Stability as directed for a 'new' tank. I read in the tank cycling info that the ammonia spike comes 4-5 days after the start of the tank, which would explain the sudden illness. I thought since we kept some water that the fish would be OK, but it looks like they had a tough time regardless. :( Hopefully no more fish loss.

Most of the bacteria is benthic so it lives on surfaces in your tank and filter not in the water. If your filter media/ gravel /decorations/ plants dried out or were exposed to any untreated chlorinated water this could seriously affect them...particular if its your filter media. Did you clean your filter over the move or replace the media?

It would be a bad idea to go to one feeding a day and see if that helps. Your fish won't starve!

Back
Top Bottom