Several noobie questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawless007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1st. Bought a tank setup that has a wet/dry and a skimmer under the stand. From what I have read on some other posts, the bio balls are being called "balls of death" :evil: for a reef setup. Can somebody explain a little more why? The owner before me had a FOSW setup and it seemed to work fine.

2nd. LR - LS .... If I purchase LR from LR.com, will it seed the sand for me in time so I can save some money or do I need to go ahead and buy LS?

3rd. Just asking for opinions...how limited will I be in choice of livestock by going the reef way as opposed to FOWLR?

Thanks in advance....

1. Bio balls usually become nitrate factories because they rely on aerobic bacteria to convert ammonia>nitrite>nitrate and thats it. Nitrate will slowly rise to levels that are toxic to invertibrates and other sensitive species.
2. Quality LR will seed your sandbed.
3. A reef tank will definitely limit your choices but it is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO.

And you don't NEED to spend money on live rock for filtration. Cheap base rock will work just as well once the tank has cycled. You won't have any coraline algae or other intersting things, but it will save money on the startup period.

Back
Top Bottom